"Zarya, ready for duty."
|Title||Defender of Russia|
|Price||750 / 10,000|
|Release Date||September 27, 2016|
Zarya, the Defender of Russia, is a ranged warrior hero from the Overwatch universe.  Aleksandra Zaryanova is one of the world's strongest women and was a promising athlete, but all that changed when the Siberian omnium reawakened. As a soldier in the Russian Defense Force, she now proudly uses her strength to protect the ones she loves.
Zarya is a mid range tank who uses shields to protect herself and her allies. The damage absorbed by her shields increases her own damage.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Overwatch universe.
Aleksandra Zaryanova is one of the world's strongest women, a celebrated athlete who sacrificed personal glory to protect her family, friends, and country in a time of war.
Aleksandra was born in a remote Siberian village that was on the front lines of the Omnic Crisis, which began some thirty years ago. Although Russian forces defeated the robots and shut down their omnium, the region was devastated by the conflict. Only a child at the time, Aleksandra was surrounded by the post-war destruction, and as she grew older, she swore that she would gain the strength to help her people recover.
Focusing on weightlifting and bodybuilding, Aleksandra was identified by the national athletics program as a potential star. She trained extensively, moving up the ranks while representing her country, and was expected to shatter longstanding records in the upcoming world championships.
But on the eve of the tournament, an attack came from the long-dormant Siberian omnium, and her village was thrust into war once again. Aleksandra immediately withdrew from the competition and rushed home to enlist in the local defense forces, sacrificing the life of fame and fortune she might have had. Now she serves—a symbol to some, a stalwart fellow soldier to others. But for Aleksandra, it is a chance to use her great strength to protect the ones she loves.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Zarya is a ranged Bruiser who combines protective shields with strong damage capabilities. Zarya is capable of shielding herself and nearby allies. Upon taking damage, shielded targets (herself included) increase Zarya's Energy, which can greatly increase her damage potential. Her Basic Attack animation is unique, as it allows her to hit multiple enemy targets at the same time.
Strength[edit | edit source]
- Offers great protection with her Shields against burst damage
- Her Basic Attacks allows her to damage multiple enemies
- Does not require Mana
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- No crowd control until Level 10
- Extremely dependent on her Energy level
- Requires the player to carefully analyse the battlefield and shield targets that are likely going to be attacked.
- Very limited mobility
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: Once Particle Grenade has hit 40 enemy Heroes, its radius is increased by 15%.
❢ Quest: Spend 150 seconds at or above 50 Energy.
❢ Reward: Gain an additional 20 maximum Energy.
❢ Reward: After collecting 20 Regen Globes, permanently reduce the cooldown of Shield Ally by 2 seconds.
Launch a gravity bomb that detonates after 1 second and draws enemy Heroes toward the center for 2.5 seconds.
Launch a gravity bomb that deals 124 (+4% per level) damage and creates an expulsion zone for 3.5 seconds. Enemies who enter the affected area are knocked back and have their Movement Speed reduced by 50% for 1 second.
Activate to consume all Energy and gain a shield that absorbs 0.5% of Zarya's maximum Health per Energy consumed and lasts for 3 seconds. Zarya may only have one personal shield active on herself at a time.
Activate to reset the cooldown of Personal Barrier and Shield Ally.
Skins[edit | edit source]
Portraits[edit | edit source]
| Zarya Portraits|
Sprays[edit | edit source]
| Zarya Sprays|
Máscara de Zarya
Emojis[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zarya first appeared in Overwatch (May 2016).
- Zarya is voiced by Dolya Gavanski.
- Zarya was one of the two heroes revealed at Gamescom 2016.
- Zarya hails from Russia, and is 28 years old.
- Zarya is one of the four Ranged Warrior heroes, the others being Rexxar, D.Va, and Blaze.
- Zarya's '512' tattoo refers to her weightlifting record of 512 kg (1128.7 lbs).
- This makes her the first warrior hero with a tattoo, the other being Garrosh Hellscream.
- Zarya's "credit to the team" quote is a reference to the Heavy from Team Fortress 2 (October 2007).
- Zarya is the first Overwatch warrior hero in the game, the second being D.Va.
- She is also the second Overwatch hero in the game, the first being Tracer.
- Zarya is the second female Overwatch hero in the game.
- Zarya is the sixteenth warrior hero in the game.
- Zarya is at odds with Genji due to her distrustful treatment towards omnics.
- However, as seen in her first comic, she will not hesitate to work alonside omnics who obey human laws.
- Zarya is the only Overwatch hero in the game to have a cross-shaped scar over her right eye.
- Zarya admits considering Katya Volskaya a hero to the people of Russia.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Concept art[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- In Development - Machines of War – New Heroes & Skins
- Zarya, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2016-08-16
[edit | edit source]
- Zarya Hero Week
- Zarya - Heroes of the Storm
- Zarya - Overwatch
- Zarya - Overwatch Wiki
- Zarya Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Zarya Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Zarya Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm