|Title||Broodmother of the Swarm|
|Release Date||June 26, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Zagara, the Broodmother of the Swarm, is a ranged specialist hero from the StarCraft universe. If Kerrigan is the Queen of the Zerg, then Zagara is the mother of the brood. Cunning and tenacious, she commands her vicious children on field of battle. Encounter her brood and beware: mess with her children, and you'll answer to mama.
Zagara spreads Creep and summons Zerg minions to assault enemy Fortifications.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
Like many of the Queen of Blades' creations, the Broodmother Zagara was birthed of the terrible ash and heat of Char. Unlike most Zerg, Broodmothers are capable of complex problem-solving and multi-tasking, and are possessed of the ability to command members of their race with fewer sapient traits. Each Broodmother is an important piece of the greater Zerg organism, able to provide large groups of Zerg with a nearly "independent" perspective.
Zagara is as vicious and resilient as any in the Swarm, but she also possesses extreme cunning. In the years since her emergence, the Broodmother came to see the volcanic planet of Char as the Swarm's crucible: a brutal environment that pushes the zerg to increasing fitness, sharpening their claws and teeth and forcing their flesh to grow thicker.
Autonomic learning has convinced Zagara of the inferiority of other intelligent species, and the time she spent uniting disparate feral broods on Char only strengthened her contempt for the weakness of most races in the galaxy.
When Kerrigan first returned to Char, Zagara resisted Kerrigan's attempt to retake the Swarm, but when Kerrigan defeated her, Zagara submitted, and thus she served the Queen of Blades.
Zagara continued to serve the Queen of Blades during her campaign of vengence against Arcturus Mengsk. After Kerrigan's victory against the Dominion, she turned her focus towards destroying Amon, a fallen Xel'Naga. Eventually Kerrigan, Artanis and James Raynor met a Xel'Naga who could merge his essence with Kerrigan to transform her into a Xel'Naga. Zagara participated in defending a flank during Kerrigan's long transformation sequence as Amon's forces attacked her. Just before the transformation was complete and as Amon's forces were decimated by a psionic pulse eminated by Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades relinquished her leadership and gave the Swarm to Zagara. Now Zagara is the Queen of the Swarm.
After aiding her Queen in destroying Amon, Zagara took her Swarm and returned to Char where she forcibly lay claim to Char and the systems surrounding it.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Activate to have Zagara's next Basic Attack apply 230 (+4% per level) damage over 5 seconds.
❢ Reward: Upon reaching 150% bonus damage, increase the impact radius of Infested Drop by 20%.
Passive:Creep spreads 15% farther.
Passive:While on Creep, each Basic Attack reduces all of Zagara's cooldowns by 0.75 seconds.
Skins[edit | edit source]
| Zagara Skins|
500 / 4,000
Broodmother of the Swarm
|Backstory: The sands of Luxoria are ever shifting. In ancient times, they were ruled by the Scorpid Swarm, and if the ancient Queen Zagara has her way, they shall be once again.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Luxoria skins.|
|Backstory: Dr. Wright hypothesized only insects would survive in the apocalypse. Years later, as the mutated hivemother's pincers closed around his neck, he realized how right he was.|
|Backstory: As his Queen ordered, Abathur augmented Zagara, allowing her more flexible thinking and a stronger control over her brood... but there's always room for more improvement.|
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Zagara's default mount is "Broodmother Flight", a state where she uses her wings to fly. She is otherwise limited to mounts she can stand on (such as Blackheart's Doubloon, Champion's Nexagon, Championship Banner, Hearthstone Card, Magic Carpet, Star Chariot, and Void Speeder).
- Backstory: Abathur's alterations of the Queen essences suppressed their flight in order to improve their abilities to care for the Hive. Of course, this does not extend to Broodmothers.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Zagara first appeared in StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (2013).
- Zagara is voiced by Nika Futterman.
- Zagara was one of the four heroes revealed at PAX East 2014.
- In the lore, Zagara is a zerg broodmother that summons and commands an endless legion of zerg to destroy her enemies. The developer took that fantasy to heart when they designed her kit and made it so all of her power was reflected in her summons, which can easily outnumber and overwhelm minion waves. They made sure that all of her abilities summoned in some fashion, and they matched the ability functionality with a zerg unit that properly represented it. Another huge part of the zerg fantasy is their ability to spread and use creep. Being a zerg summoner, it felt appropriate for Zagara to be able to lay Creep Tumors down.
- Zagara is the youngest hero of whole game, since she is more or less 4 years old.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Developer Insights: Spreadin’ The Creep On Zagara
- Zagara Hero Week
- Zagara - Heroes of the Storm
- Zagara - StarCraft II
- Zagara - StarCraft Wiki
- Zagara Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Zagara Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Zagara Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm