- The frigid mechworks of Volskaya are a notorious hotbed for conflict and corporate backstabbing. On this frosty Battleground, the heroes of the Nexus vie to wrest control of enormous Protector mechs and blast their opponents to smithereens.
|First Objective||3:00 minutes|
|Subsequent Objectives||2:50 minutes after the last Triglav Protector dies|
|Release Date||September 26, 2017|
Volskaya Foundry is an Overwatch-themed battleground. The Foundry is a snowy, sprawling three-lane control battleground featuring three Overwatch-style capture points, moving conveyor belts, and a giant two-seater mech, the Triglav Protector.
The first Battleground objective event will activate 3:00 minutes into the match, following a 30-second warning.
Background[edit | edit source]
This section concerns content exclusive to the Overwatch universe.
Russia was one of the countries hit hardest by the Omnic Crisis, but during the rebuilding process, it rode the wave of the mechanized labor industry's revitalization and entered a period of rapid growth. However, after recent attacks from the long-dormant Siberian omnium, Russia has returned to war footing, guarding its sparkling cities with the massive, human-piloted Svyatogor mechs developed and produced by Volskaya Industries.
Map layout[edit | edit source]
The "Volskaya Foundry" battleground has three lanes with one Control point in the middle of each lane.
Areas of interest[edit | edit source]
Mercenary Camps[edit | edit source]
There are five mercenary camps to be recruited in this battleground:
Once the Triglav Protector has been spawned, mercenary camps disappear, reappearing after the Triglav Protector has been destroyed. As the camp will not despawn if it is already engaged, teams can consider engaging camps just before the Triglav Protector spawns.
Conveyor belts[edit | edit source]
Each capture point is connected to moving walkways called Conveyor belts. Conveyor belts push in their chosen direction at 2.56m/s. Because base movement speed is ~4.4m/s (4.3984 to be exact), moving directly with or against the conveyor belt is a ~60% slow or haste (58.2%). Thus Conveyor belts create interesting tactical consideration and opportunities for big plays: They can be used to boost mobility around the battleground, to force enemies out of position, and more.
Unique objective[edit | edit source]
Capture Points[edit | edit source]
The first Capture Point will activate 3:00 minutes into the match, following a 30-second warning. The next Capture Point will be active 2:50 minutes after the Triglav Protector is destroyed.
Each capture point is connected to a unique conveyor layout - they can be used to boost mobility around the battleground, to force enemies out of position, and more. Control points activate occasionally. Stand within them to capture them. True to Overwatch style capture points, this battleground will feature the overtime mechanic. Progress will not increase from 99% to 100% as long as one enemy player is contesting the point. However, unlike Overwatch, at least one player needs to stay on the capture point to maintain control over it. The Triglav Protector will spawn once the capture point reaches 100%.
- Throughout the match a Control Point will activate at one of three locations, beginning in a neutral capture state.
- The first point spawns in the middle of the map.
- The second point spawns in the top of the map.
- The third point spawns in the bottom of the map.
- The locations repeat. The fourth point will again be in the middle of the map, the fifth point in the top of the map, and so on.
- Once a player stands on the control point without any enemies, they gain control progress for their team at a steady rate. Capturing a point takes 6 seconds.
- As long as a team has control of the point, they gain victory progress at a steady rate.
- A point charges while you stand on it. If you leave the point, there is a 6 second grace period as the point capture status falls back to neutral and the point becomes uncaptured again.
- Charging a point from 0% to 100% takes 52 seconds.
- While the point is contested, the point capture status pauses and doesn't move, similar to contesting a mercenary camp.
- While a point is fully captured by a team, the point continues charging for that team even if contested.
- When a team's control progress hits 100, they gain control of the point.
- Victory progress does not decay for any reason.
- Overtime: When a point is at 99% victory progress about to tick over to 100%, it will stay at 99% and enter the overtime state if there are any enemy heroes on the point or the point just flipped from the enemy's control.
- When a team's victory progress hits 100%, they win the event. The control point deactivates and a two-person Triglav Protector spawns on the point for the winning team after a short delay.
Triglav Protector[edit | edit source]
The Triglav Protector is a vehicle only to be channeled by the team that has won the objective. The first person that channels onto the mech is the pilot, the second is the gunner. One interesting part of this objective is that damage will NOT prevent players from entering the mech, only hard CC like a stun or a fear . Much like Cho'gall, the pilot handles positioning and movement for the Protector while the gunner lays waste to the enemy team. If both the Pilot and Gunner seats are occupied, it will gain 10 Armor and 25% increased damage. It is also worth noting that the first player to enter the mech can switch to the gunner position if they choose.
The next Capture Point will be active 2:50 minutes after the Triglav Protector is destroyed.
Pilot abilities[edit | edit source]
- Charge (Q)
- A charge ability where players must target enemy hero or structure. The mech will charge to that location doing damage to all in his path. Developers said the reason you must target an enemy hero or structure is to encourage offensive play with the mech.
- After 0.5 seconds, charge to the target unit's current location and deal damage in an area. Deals double damage to structures and minions. 8 second cooldown.
- Rocket Fist (W)
- A Rocket Fist that shoots at enemy heroes. This first roots an enemy hero or disables a structure.
- Launch a Rocket Fist that impacts the first Hero or Structure hit. Roots Heroes for 1 second. Disables Structures for 2 seconds. Destroys all minions in its path. 14 second cooldown.
- Shield Emitter (E)
- Grants 25 armor to vehicle and grants a Shield to all nearby allies equal to 25% of their maximum health. 16 second cooldown.
- A Shield emitter that gives the mech 25 armor. This also gives an AoE shield to all allies hero and, according to developers, makes the mech a fantastic team fighter.
Gunner abilities[edit | edit source]
- Particle Cannon (Q)
- A particle cannon that, after channeling with a range that constantly grows (think Gazlowe laser), it eventually fires a ball of energy at the location, doing AoE damage. This allows the mech to target fleeing heroes with ease.
- Enables the Particle Cannon ability and increases its range over 3 seconds. Reactivate to launch an orb dealing damage in an area. 5 sec cooldown.
- Gatling Cannon (W)
- A Gatling cannon that, when activated, fire projectiles at the cursor location. Like Gall's Shadow Bolt Volley, players can drag your cursor to whatever they want to shoot. The shots do double damage to enemy heroes and normal damage to enemy structures
- Fires a barrage of cannon fire at the location of your cursor for 4 seconds. 11 second cooldown.
- Scorching Laser (E)
- The last ability fires a giant laser down a line, doing little damage. However, a second later, it does a devastating amount of explosion on an identical path. This shot gives players time to avoid, but if they don't, it does tons of damage.
- A laser quickly cuts a line across the terrain dealing light damage. A secondary explosion triggers 0.75 seconds later for heavy damage. 10 second cooldown.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Bash 'Em Smash 'Em Robots, Industrial District and Trial Grounds are modified Brawls of Volskaya Foundry.
- Triglav is the name of the highest mountain in Slovenia and of the Slavic deity. The word can be translated as the "one with three heads".
- The soundtrack of Volskaya Foundry is a new composition and the lyrics of the chorus roughly translate to "Volskaya protects all of us, she is a defender."
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Battlegrounds - Volskaya Foundry
- Volskaya Foundry Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Volskaya Foundry Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm