|Title||High King of the Alliance|
|Release Date||November 15, 2016|
Varian Wrynn, High King of the Alliance, is a melee multi-class hero from the Warcraft universe. Few would have expected that the gladiator known only as Lo'Gosh was in truth the missing ruler of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn. Now the High King of the Alliance, his every action shapes the destiny of Azeroth itself.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Never one to back down from a difficult task or shy away from the front lines, King Varian Wrynn has always sought to do what he believes is best for his people. Without question, he is eager to pick up a sword and shield in defense of the Alliance, Azeroth, and now... The Nexus. There is no opponent too great nor battlefield too harsh to stop Varian from leading those around him toward victory.
Great leaders know that a successful conquest requires the flexibility to adapt to any new challenges that may arise on the field of battle. Through talents, Varian can be built to fit several different disciplines and is the first multi-class hero to enter the Nexus. Be the shield your team needs by taunting enemies and soaking tons of damage, or split Shalamayne into its component swords, Ellemayne and Shalla'tor, and lead with your blades to cut down any who stand in your way. 
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: After hitting 30 Heroes, the slow is increased to 50% and its duration is increased to 2 seconds.
❢ Quest: Participate in 5 Hero Takedowns
❢ Quest: Gather 20 Regeneration Globes
❢ Reward: Completing a Quest grants 10 Base Attack Damage. Completing all 3 Quests grants an additional 45 Base Attack Damage.
Force the target Hero to attack Varian for 1.25 seconds.
Passive:Maximum Health increased by 30%.
Passive:Gain 15 Armor.
Smash a target enemy, dealing 160 (+4% per level) damage and making them Vulnerable for 3 seconds.
Passive: Base Attack Damage increased by 100%.
Passive: Maximum Health reduced by 10%.
Passive: Attack Speed increased by 100%.
Passive: Base Attack Damage reduced by 20%.
Activate to throw a sword that deals 110 (52 + 4% per level) damage to the target, and up to 1400 (+4% per level) bonus damage to their Shields.Passive: Basic Attacks deal up to 200% bonus damage to Shields.
Activate to place a Banner that grants 25% increased Movement Speed to nearby allied Heroes. Lasts 12 seconds.
Activate to place a Banner that grants 20 Armor to nearby allied Heroes, reducing damage taken by 20%. Lasts 12 seconds.
Activate to place a Banner that grants 20% increased Ability Power to nearby allied Heroes. Lasts 12 seconds.
Activate to demoralize nearby enemy Heroes, reducing damage they deal by 25% for 5 seconds.
Skins[edit | edit source]
| Varian Skins|
|Backstory: Few would have expected that the gladiator known only as Lo'Gosh was in truth the missing ruler of Stormwind, Varian Wrynn. Now the High King of the Alliance, his every action shapes the destiny of Azeroth itself.|
750 / 10,000
High King of the Alliance
|Backstory: The Lion has long been associated with the nation of Stormwind and the House of Wrynn. It is a symbol of courage, dignity and ferocity; truly befitting for the High King.|
|Backstory: After awakening on the shores of Durotar, the gladiator known as Lo'Gosh became a star of the Crimson Ring Arena. Rumor has it that he fights with the fury of the Ghost Wolf himself.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of character's pre-change skins.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Varian was mentioned in the manual for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002), and he appeared in World of Warcraft (2004) as a prisoner on Alcaz Island.
- Varian is voiced by Chris Metzen in all of his game appearances with the exception of World of Warcraft: Cataclysm (where he is voiced by Jon St. John).
- In the Warcraft film, Varian is portrayed by Dylan Schombing.
- Varian was one of the two heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2016.
- Varian is the only multi-class hero in Heroes of the Storm.
- Varian's three heroic abilities reflect the warrior specializations in World of Warcraft: Protection, Arms and Fury.
- When selecting Taunt, Shalla'tor will be put away when Varian equips his shield, as he will use Ellemayne.
- As seen in the comics, Varian's sword - Shalamayne - has an orange gem at the base of the hilt.
- All three variations of Varian's Lionheart skin adds a full helm similar to the one his father wore in the film Warcraft (2016).
- His ponytail matches the variations, and Shalamayne is bronze in his Crimson Lionheart skin.
- One of Varian's gag quotes references the Hulk from the Marvel comics series.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
The Blizzard DOTA models of Varian and various other heroes.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Varian Hero Week
- Varian - Heroes of the Storm
- Varian Wrynn - World of Warcraft
- Varian Wrynn - Wowpedia
- Varian Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Varian Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Varian Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm