"From order comes justice."
|Title||Savior of the Templar|
|Price||500 / 4,000|
|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
Tassadar, the Savior of the Templar, is a Ranged Assassin hero from the StarCraft universe. An executor without equal, Tassadar fought valiantly to save Aiur from the Zerg. Channeling the Khala and Void, he destroyed the Overmind at the cost of his life. In the glory of combat Protoss warriors forever invoke his name: "En Taro, Tassadar!" Prior to patch 2.50.0, Tassadar was a Support hero.
Background[edit | edit source]
This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
Tassadar, once branded a heretic by the ruling body of the Protoss Empire known as the Conclave, is now considered one of the greatest heroes in the history of this enigmatic race of psionic warriors. From an early age, Tassadar was wholly devoted to the Khala, the protoss religion and psionic link that shared thoughts and emotions between their society. However, he also questioned the Conclave's rigidity, stoicism, and dogmatic obsession with tradition. Despite his reservations about the protoss leadership, his innate intelligence and strength allowed him to rise quickly through the ranks and eventually earned him the rank of Executor of the Empire's forces. He took in a young protoss named Artanis as a pupil, training him in the ways of the Templar.
It was Tassadar who made first contact with both the ravenous zerg and the relatively young terrans. Once the Conclave examined the zerg and realized the threat they posed, they ordered Tassadar to wipe out any signs of their infestation, including worlds inhabited by the terrans. Tassadar, however, felt it was the protoss' responsibility to protect the terrans and refused to carry out his orders unless there was absolutely no hope of saving the planet in question. Eventually Tassadar was ordered to return home and face the Conclave for his insubordination, but he refused in favor of continuing his fight against the zerg as best as he could without sacrificing terran worlds. His fight would eventually bring him into contact with several allies, including a terran named Jim Raynor as well as a group of protoss known as the Dark Templar, an individualistic sect that had been exiled in ages past for refusing to join the Khala. Though initially hesitant to interact with the Dark Templar, Tassadar came to appreciate the powers of the Dark Templar that were lost to those who embraced the Khala by interacting with their Dark Prelate Zeratul. Eventually learning to use those powers for himself and combine them with his understanding of the Khala, Tassadar gained completion beyond the scope of the Khala.
Despite his new abilities, the Conclave abhorred his interactions with the Dark Templar and branded him a heretic to be executed. Ever dedicated to protecting his home regardless of his own fate, Tassadar returned to the protoss homeworld of Aiur to defend it from the zerg, convincing Artanis, Zeratul, Raynor and the protoss hero Fenix to come to his aid. After defeating the Conclave forces that were more intent with stopping him than the zerg, Tassadar rallied what was left of his allies and made in one last stand against the Zerg Overmind. Despite their best efforts, nothing could significantly harm the Overmind, and thus Tassadar sacrificed himself by crashing his carrier into the massive creature while channeling both the Khala-based powers that he had grown up with as well as those of the Dark Templar. The resulting explosion succeeded in killing the Overmind, and while the zerg still rampaged across Aiur their loss of an all-powerful leader gave the protoss the room they needed to survive.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Tassadar is a Ranged Assassin hero based on area control and channeled abilities. His trait is Resonance Beam, which makes his Basic Attack a channeled beam that slows the target. While channeling, Tassadar gains Basic Attack damage and mana regeneration. His first ability, Shock Ray, fires a beam of energy across the ground that deals heavy damage in a line. His second ability is Psionic Storm, an Area of Effect attack that deals increasing damage each time it hits an enemy. His final basic ability, Force Wall, creates an impassable barrier at the target location.
His first Heroic allows him to transform into an Archon, which grants him a large shield and replaces his basic attack with a powerful energy blast. His second heroic, Black Hole', launches a black hole that travels forwards in a straight line. Nearby enemies are sucked towards the black hole, and enemies in the center take damage and are stunned.
Strengths[edit | edit source]
- Heavy AoE damage
- High poke range
- Has great zoning potential, being good in small choke points
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
- Is very squishy, and can be easily killed or ganked
- Weak against high mobility Heroes, since all his Abilities can be easily dodged.
- Low mobility
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- See Data page for a table of scaled values at key levels.
Talents[edit | edit source]
Maximum of 250 additional damage.
- Mana refund can trigger multiple times on the same target.
❢ Reward: After Resonance Beam has been fully charged for 80 seconds, it bounces to hit 1 additional target for 75% damage.
❢ Reward: After Resonance Beam has been fully charged for 160 seconds, it bounces to hit 2 additional targets for 75% damage.
- Bounce radius is extended by the target's unit radius.
- Bounces chain from the secondary target.
- Secondary attacks Slow.
- Secondary attacks do not grant additional charge.
- Archon Basic Attacks do not bounce.
- Damage reduction to secondary targets stacks multiplicatively with offensive damage modifiers that can affect Tassadar's Basic Attack damage.
- Slow lingers for 0.5 seconds.
- Slow immunity prevents the associated damage.
- Psionic Storm created by Psionic Echo benefits from all talents affecting Psionic Storm.
- Secondary targets from Khaydarin Amulet and Archon do not generate a Psionic Storm.
- Psionic Storm created by Arc Discharge benefits from all talents affecting Psionic Storm.
Tassadar transforms into an Archon, gaining a Shield equal to 40% of his maximum Health and empowering Resonance Beam. Lasts for 12 seconds.
Resonance Beam: Deals 150 damage to the target and splashes for 75. Heroes hit have their Spell Armor reduced by 20 for 2 seconds. Resonance Beam is fully charged while Archon is active.
After a 0.5 second cast, launch a Black Hole that travels in a long line. Enemy Heroes within the Black Hole's area are quickly pulled towards its center. Touching the center deals 310 damage and Stuns for 1.25 seconds.
- Debuff lingers for 0.5 seconds, or 2 seconds if the corresponding Basic Attack occurred during Archon.
- Secondary attacks from Khaydarin Amulet can trigger the effect.
- Debuff applies before the corresponding Basic Attack's damage is calculated.
Tassadar becomes Stealthed and Unrevealable, but cannot attack or use Abilities for 1.5 seconds. While this effect is active gain 40% increased Movement Speed and 25 Armor.
Can be cast while channeling Shock Ray.
- Shadow Walk can be reactivated after 0.5 seconds to end its effect early.
- Can also be cast while channeling Black Hole.
- Activating Shadow Walk during the windup of Shock Ray or Black Hole puts the abilities on their respective shorter cooldowns. If Shock Ray is interrupted this way after the windup, the ability ends immediately and is put on full cooldown.
Passive: While stationary, gain 30 Spell Armor for 0.75 seconds and restore 12 health a second.
Activate to Channel for up to 4 seconds, revealing a gradually increasing area anywhere on the map.
- Min: 5.0
- Max: 16
- Revealed area radius grows in 0.5 increments every 0.125 seconds.
- Vision persists for 2 seconds after Tassadar stops channeling, Revealed status only for 0.4 seconds.
- Does not stack with itself or other positive Spell Armor effects. Other defensive damage modifiers may stack.
- Damage is based on the target's maximum Health.
- Duration remains the same, causing Psionic Storm to tick additional 2 times.
- Results in around 40% increase in total damage.
Activate to gain full Resonance Beam charge, 20% Spell Power, and cause Basic and Heroic Ability cooldowns to regenerate 25% faster. This effect lasts as long as Resonance Beam is at full charge.
- Spell Power stacks additively with itself and other offensive damage and healing modifiers affecting Tassadar's Spell damage or healing output.
- Basic Attacks will not increase the remaining duration of Archon, while it is already higher than 12 seconds, effectively limiting the remaining duration to 14 seconds at a time.
- Psionic Storms created by Kugelblitz benefits from all talents affecting Psionic Storm.
- Causes Electric Fence to tick 1 additional time.
Skins[edit | edit source]
|Backstory: An Executor without equal, Tassadar has fought tirelessly to purify the Koprulu sector of the zerg infestation. Only now, after learning to wield the power of the void, is Tassadar finally ready to face the Overmind and its all-consuming Swarm.|
500 / 4,000
Savior of the Templar
120 / 75
|Backstory: Pharaoh Ta-sadar knew the power of the darkworld would consume his realm, but Luxoria would still survive... Better the Nexus devour his kingdom than the Scorpid Swarm.|
|Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Luxoria skins.|
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
350 / 400
|Backstory: When Dark Nexus energies spilled across the Nexus, Tassadar’s attempts to contain them changed him. For each tendril of chaos he subdued, another came to life within; enhancing his abilities but awakening an inner struggle reflected in his fractured form.|
|Features: Themed abilities and animations|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Dark Nexus skins.|
350 / 600
350 / 600
350 / 600
350 / 600
350 / 600
|Backstory: Executors rarely command from the field of battle, but their Regalia is fitted with meticulously crafted khaydarin crystals to amplify their psionic powers should the need arise.|
120 / 75
120 / 75
120 / 75
|Backstory: The Kaijo Diablo could not be contained; cities world-wide had been reduced to cinders. Now humanity's survival hangs upon the untested mecha, Tassadar.|
|Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities, themed mount|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Kaijo world skins.|
750 / 1,600
750 / 1,600
750 / 1,600
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Mecha Morph (Mecha Tassadar exclusive)
|Backstory: Mecha Tassadar, mechamorphanize!|
Portraits[edit | edit source]
Dark Nexus Tassadar
Mecha Tassadar Insignia
Sprays[edit | edit source]
Calavera de Tassadar
Can't Touch This
Mecha Tassadar Insignia
Emojis[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Development and Rework[edit | edit source]
Tassadar was originally a Support for years, who provided scouting, shields, and battlefield control. His basic attack was Distortion Beam that slowed enemies hit, and his trait, Oracle, increased his sight range and revealed invisible enemies in the radius when activated. His first ability, Plasma Shield, placed a large shield on a target that also granted a small amount of lifesteal on basic attacks. His primary offensive ability was Psionic Storm, an Area of Effect attack that dealt increasing damage each time it hits. Dimensional Shift acted as his emergency button, turning him invisible, invincible, and intangible for a short period of time. His first Heroic was Archon, which granted him a Plasma Shield and replaced his basic attack with a powerful energy blast for the duration. His second Heroic, Force Wall, created an impassable barrier, and passively increases the slow of Distortion Beam.
His rework was the most extensive in the entire game, turning him into a Ranged Assassin with a completely different playstyle. In terms of his development, as well as in the release cycle, Tassadar went firmly into new hero territory. David Warner wrote: "We had talked about shifting him from a support role to an assassin for years, but we didn’t have a solid plan as to what this transition would look like. I knew from the beginning that Plasma Shield would have to be cut in favor of another damage ability, so I started experimenting with various abilities and what became Shock Ray fell into placepretty quickly. We experimented with just that addition for a while, but we realized very early on that that there was no reasonable way we could keep Dimensional Shift *and* inject more numeric power into his kit without it becoming overpowered or making extreme concessions elsewhere. Removing that safety option really broadened the possibilities for what we could do with Tass and we spent a good amount of time (~4-5 months I want to say) trying different things until the base kit resembled what it is now. Figuring out talents took another few months, but came together fairly easily. Moving Force Wall from an ultimate to a Basic Ability was a little contentious at first, but as we got used to playing with it we realized it worked well. Black Hole came very late in the design cycle and went through multiple iterations before it became what it is today. We stopped making big design changes to him probably 2-3 months ago, so his total iteration time was probably a year’s worth of time, which is fairly close to how long we iterate on brand new heroes."
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tassadar first appeared in StarCraft (March 1998).
- Tassadar is voiced by Michael Gough.
- Tassadar was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- Tassadar's 3D design in StarCraft II was based off of an action figure made by Toycom, after the launch of the first StarCraft. Heroes of the Storm created a Tassadar model much closer to the figure's design.
- During the Technical Alpha, the flavor text for the Mecha skin referenced the Transformers.
- Although they are unwilling to admit it, Tassadar Prime and the Zealobots are losing the civil war against the Judicons. Little do they know, deep within the core of Aiurtron an infestation is growing...
- Tassadar's Mecha skin references the Transformers franchise (1984).
- Tassadar's Cobalt Mecha skin references the leader of the Autobots; Optimus Prime.
- Tassadar's Astral Mecha skin references the leader of the Decepticon; Megatron.
- The Psionic Storm ability is a the ability high templar, and Tassadar in his high templar hero form, have in the StarCraft series. This does a large amount of damage in a small area.
- In beta builds of the game, Tassadar's psionic storm was replaced with an ability named "time warp" which slowed in a small area and left behind a bubble. This was changed due to fan outcry.
- The Archon ability references the archon unit, which is a fusion of two high templar or dark templar into a being of pure power.
- Black Hole is a reference to the ability used by Vorazun in the Co-op Missions mode. A similar ability named "Wormhole" is used in older versions of the protoss mothership.
- The Level 1 talent Khaydarin Amulet references the khaydarin crystals high templar use to focus their power, wearing them as amulets
- The Level 4 talent Plasma Shield references the protoss shields the protect all of their units and structures. In prior builds of Heroes of the Storm, Tassadar could give himself and allies these shields with his Q ability.
- The Level 13 talent "Feedback" is a reference to the ability used by the dark archon in StarCraft and high templar in StarCraft II, which drains the enemy's energy and deals it as damage.
- The Level 13 talent "Shadow Walk" is a reference to the Nerazim ritual of the Shadow Walk, where one Nerazim would have go pass through a valley with their brethren in the shadows waiting to strike them. Tassadar took this trial as his final test when training with Zeratul. In older builds of the game, this was Tassadar's E ability, named "Dimensional Shift."
- The Level 13 talent "Oracle" may be a reference to the protoss oracle, a sect of Nerazim who could see the strands of time. In older builds of Tassadar, this served as his D ability.
- The Level 16 talent "Thermal Lance" is a reference to the name of the weapon of the protoss war strider, the colossus, which has the same name.
- The Level 16 talent "Executor's Will" references Tassadar's former rank of Executor.
- The Level 20 talent Twilight Archon comes from the twilight archon, an archon made from a fusion of a dark templar and a high templar. This also served as a cut unit in StarCraft II. To match its Void infused power, the Tassadar's archon with the Twilight Archon talent becomes purple.
- The level 20 talent "Khala's Gift" reference the Khala. The Khala was a mind link all Khalai protoss shared which allowed for the transfer of thoughts, emotions and memories, and high templar such as Tassadar were considered masters of it.
- Tassadar was reworked into a ranged Assassin, with the release of patch 2.50.0.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
The Blizzard DOTA models of Tassadar and various other heroes
Master Tassadar in the Eternal Conflict
Talents (old)[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2013-11-26
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- Blizz_DWarner on Reddit
- 2018-08-26, Starcraft 2: Tassadar. PhilGonzo Deviantart, accessed on 2018-08-26
- Blizzard Entertainment. (2020, April 14). Heroes of the Storm Live Patch Notes - April 14, 2020. Heroes of the Storm - News. Retrieved on 2020-04-14.
[edit | edit source]
- Tassadar - Heroes of the Storm
- Tassadar - StarCraft Wiki
- Tassadar Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Tassadar Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Tassadar Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm
|Bruisers||Artanis • Chen • D.Va • Deathwing • Dehaka • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins||Alarak • Gazlowe • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Qhira • Samuro • The Butcher • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Greymane • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tassadar • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support||Abathur • Medivh • The Lost Vikings • Zarya|
|Tanks||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Mei • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|