"From order comes justice."
|Title||Savior of the Templar|
|Price||500 / 4,000|
|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
Tassadar, the Savior of the Templar, is a ranged support hero from the StarCraft universe. An executor without equal, Tassadar fought valiantly to save Aiur from the Zerg. Channeling the Khala and Void, he destroyed the Overmind at the cost of his life. In the glory of combat Protoss warriors forever invoke his name: "En Taro, Tassadar!"
Background[edit | edit source]
This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
Tassadar, once branded a heretic by the ruling body of the Protoss Empire known as the Conclave, is now considered one of the greatest heroes in the history of this enigmatic race of psionic warriors. From an early age, Tassadar was wholly devoted to the Khala, the protoss religion and psionic link that shared thoughts and emotions between their society. However, he also questioned the Conclave's rigidity, stoicism, and dogmatic obsession with tradition. Despite his reservations about the protoss leadership, his innate intelligence and strength allowed him to rise quickly through the ranks and eventually earned him the rank of Executor of the Empire's forces. He took in a young protoss named Artanis as a pupil, training him in the ways of the Templar.
It was Tassadar who made first contact with both the ravenous zerg and the relatively young terrans. Once the Conclave examined the zerg and realized the threat they posed, they ordered Tassadar to wipe out any signs of their infestation, including worlds inhabited by the terrans. Tassadar, however, felt it was the protoss' responsibility to protect the terrans and refused to carry out his orders unless there was absolutely no hope of saving the planet in question. Eventually Tassadar was ordered to return home and face the Conclave for his insubordination, but he refused in favor of continuing his fight against the zerg as best as he could without sacrificing terran worlds. His fight would eventually bring him into contact with several allies, including a terran named Jim Raynor as well as a group of protoss known as the Dark Templar, an individualistic sect that had been exiled in ages past for refusing to join the Khala. Though initially hesitant to interact with the Dark Templar, Tassadar came to appreciate the powers of the Dark Templar that were lost to those who embraced the Khala by interacting with their Dark Prelate Zeratul. Eventually learning to use those powers for himself and combine them with his understanding of the Khala, Tassadar gained completion beyond the scope of the Khala.
Despite his new abilities, the Conclave abhorred his interactions with the Dark Templar and branded him a heretic to be executed. Ever dedicated to protecting his home regardless of his own fate, Tassadar returned to the protoss homeworld of Aiur to defend it from the zerg, convincing Artanis, Zeratul, Raynor and the protoss hero Fenix to come to his aid. After defeating the Conclave forces that were more intent with stopping him than the zerg, Tassadar rallied what was left of his allies and made in one last stand against the Zerg Overmind. Despite their best efforts, nothing could significantly harm the Overmind, and thus Tassadar sacrificed himself by crashing his carrier into the massive creature while channeling both the Khala-based powers that he had grown up with as well as those of the Dark Templar. The resulting explosion succeeded in killing the Overmind, and while the zerg still rampaged across Aiur their loss of an all-powerful leader gave the protoss the room they needed to survive.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: After hitting 500 enemies, increase the size of Psionic Storm by 20%.
❢ Reward: After hitting 1000 enemies, increase the damage of Psionic Storm by 20%.
❢ Reward: After spending 30 seconds attacking Heroes, Distortion Beam's damage is increased by 125%.
❢ Reward: After spending 60 seconds attacking Heroes, Distortion Beam's range is increased by an additional 1.
❢ Reward: Upon getting 5 Takedowns, the sight range of Oracle is increased by 50%.
Tassadar transforms into an Archon and gains a Plasma Shield. His Basic Attacks deal 158 (+4% per level) damage, slow the target by 30% for 1 second and splash for 79 (+4% per level) damage to enemies within 2.5 range. Lasts for 10 seconds.
Passive: Archon refreshes the cooldown of Dimensional Shift.
Create a wall that blocks all units from moving through it for 2 seconds.
Passive: Increases the slow amount of Distortion Beam to 30%.
Activate to reduce the damage the target enemy Hero deals by 75% for 4 seconds.
Activate to give all nearby allied Heroes an untalented Plasma Shield.
Skins[edit | edit source]
|Backstory: An Executor without equal, Tassadar has fought tirelessly to purify the Koprulu sector of the zerg infestation. Only now, after learning to wield the power of the void, is Tassadar finally ready to face the Overmind and its all-consuming Swarm.|
500 / 4,000
Savior of the Templar
|Backstory: Pharaoh Ta-sadar knew the power of the darkworld would consume his realm, but Luxoria would still survive... Better the Nexus devour his kingdom than the Scorpid Swarm.|
|Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Luxoria skins.|
|Backstory: Executors rarely command from the field of battle, but their Regalia is fitted with meticulously crafted khaydarin crystals to amplify their psionic powers should the need arise.|
|Backstory: The Kaijo Diablo could not be contained; cities world-wide had been reduced to cinders. Now humanity's survival hangs upon the untested mecha, Tassadar.|
|Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities, themed mount|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Kaijo world skins.|
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Mecha Morph (Mecha Tassadar exclusive)
|Backstory: Mecha Tassadar, mechamorphanize!|
Portraits[edit | edit source]
Mecha Tassadar Insignia
Sprays[edit | edit source]
Calavera de Tassadar
Can't Touch This
Mecha Tassadar Insignia
Emojis[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Tassadar was initially conceived as a sentry hero, but was eventually developed into a more lore-relevant character. Tassadar's 3D design in StarCraft II was based off of an action figure made by Toycom, after the launch of the first StarCraft. Heroes of the Storm created a Tassadar model much closer to the figure's design.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tassadar first appeared in StarCraft (March 1998).
- Tassadar is voiced by Michael Gough.
- Tassadar was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- During the Technical Alpha, the flavor text for the Mecha skin referenced the Transformers.
- Although they are unwilling to admit it, Tassadar Prime and the Zealobots are losing the civil war against the Judicons. Little do they know, deep within the core of Aiurtron an infestation is growing...
- Tassadar's Mecha skin references the Transformers franchise (1984).
- Tassadar's Cobalt Mecha skin references the leader of the Autobots; Optimus Prime.
- Tassadar's Astral Mecha skin references the leader of the Decepticon; Megatron.
- The Plasma Shield ability references the fact all protoss units in StarCraft are equipped with rechargeable plasma shields, that first take damage before the unit's health does.
- The Psionic Storm ability is a the ability high templar, and Tassadar in his high templar hero form, have in the StarCraft series. This does a large amount of damage in a small area.
- In beta builds of the game, Tassadar's psionic storm was replaced with an ability named "time warp" which slowed in a small area and left behind a bubble. This was changed due to fan outcry.
- The Archon ability references the archon unit, which is a fusion of two high templar or dark templar into a being of pure power.
- The Level 1 talent Khaydarin Resonance references the khaydarin crystals high templar use to focus their power.
- All of Tassadar's level 4 talents reference the Khala. The Khala was a mind link all Khalai protoss shared which allowed for the transfer of thoughts, emotions and memories, and high templar such as Tassadar were considered masters of it.
- The Level 16 talent Adun's Wisdom references the great protoss hero Adun, who gave his life to help the Nerazim escape Aiur. Tassadar and Adun are often compared due to their exploits in aiding the Nerazim, with some protoss mythology saying that Tassadar was the reincarnation of Adun.
- The Level 20 talent Twilight Archon comes from the twilight archon, an archon made from a fusion of a dark templar and a high templar. This also served as a cut unit in StarCraft II. To match its Void infused power, the Tassadar's archon with the Twilight Archon talent becomes purple.
- The Level 20 talent Shield Battery comes from the protoss structure named the shield battery, which recovers the shields of all protoss units around it.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
The Blizzard DOTA models of Tassadar and various other heroes
Master Tassadar in the Eternal Conflict
Talents[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2013-11-26
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2018-08-26, Starcraft 2: Tassadar. PhilGonzo Deviantart, accessed on 2018-08-26
[edit | edit source]
- Tassadar - Heroes of the Storm
- Tassadar - StarCraft Wiki
- Tassadar Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Tassadar Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Tassadar Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm