In Heroes of the Storm, every Hero has their own diverse kit of skills and abilities that players will be able to choose from as their team advances. Starting at level 1, every few levels a team earns will present players with a set of talent choices that offer new tools or enhance existing abilities. In Heroes of the Storm, talents have replaced what many may have come to know as the item shop. These talents allow players to react to the battleground, team composition, or the opposing team composition. A Hero's kit is unique to them, and offers different strategic opportunities to employ during the battle.
Pressing the TAB key brings up a menu where players can see which talents their team and their opponents have chosen. As players gain familiarity with the talents that are available to each hero, they’ll make better and more informed decisions about how to react to the ever-evolving battle at hand.
The levels of the talents are levels (1/4/7/10/13/16/20). At level 10, each member of the team will select from one of two powerful Heroic Abilities (R) which greatly enhance their Hero’s effectiveness in battle, which can be upgraded with certain talents at level 20. When unleashed in succession with other complementary Heroic abilities that their team has chosen, these can be absolutely devastating against opponents. Once the Heroic ability has been selected, the choice cannot be undone. As such, having a keen understanding of the talents and abilities for each of the Heroes is paramount to achieving success in the Nexus.
Certain talents on a hero may be picked in order to counter the choices of players on the enemy team. Once a talent is chosen, the change cannot be undone, so choose wisely!
Types of Talents[edit | edit source]
- Talents offer many things, they can:
- alter existing Hero abilities, e.g. Greymane's level 1 talent Wolfheart causes his W ability to grant him Cooldown Reduction for his W with every auto-attack.
- improve their statistics.
- modify a hero's auto-attacks to have new effects, e.g. life steal or increased damage.
- be actives that require you to activate in order to use it's effect, e.g. Iceblock, pressing it puts you in a stasis where you are affected by nothing and cannot move.
- Quest Talents are talents that require the player to complete a certain "quest" to receive a reward, e.g. Regeneration Master - Collect 30 regen globes, once you collect 30 you gain 500 health.
- Once you reach the quest goal, you no longer need to get stacks, as you have already been rewarded.
- Certain quest talents let you stack infinitely however there is no "reward". Generally these talents boost the damage of an ability, e.g. Muradin's Perfect Storm - every time you land your Q it gets 5 bonus damage.
- Ultimate/Heroic Ability: The talent a hero chooses at level 10, generally a choice between 2 heroics (there are exceptions) these are game changing abilities that you ultimately race to get in the early game. They can change the course of a fight especially if the enemy team does not have them.
- Storm Talents: The talents at level 20, these are powerful late-game talents that are useful. Generally made up of Heroic ability upgrades and other storm talents such as Bolt of the Storm. If you have not won before 20, this is where you need to push your advantage. Never fight when below 20 and the enemy team is at 20.
- Generic Talents: Some talents are generic and not specific to any hero, like Bolt of the Storm or Rewind.