"By fire, be purged!"
|Price||625 / 7,000|
|Release Date||December 14, 2016|
Ragnaros, the Firelord, is a melee bruiser hero from the Warcraft universe. Ragnaros is a powerful bruiser who can sow the seeds of destruction in a team fight or simply when defending his team's forts. Ragnaros is a unique addition to the Nexus hero pool thanks to his ability to take over allied forts or destroyed forts with his trait, Molten Core. Seizing control of a fort grants him a new set of abilities that allow him to defend against the enemy's siege or lay waste to an enemy town in an allied push.
Background[edit | edit source]
This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Harness the volcanic wrath of the Firelord to call down flaming meteors, crush foes with the explosive might of Sulfuras, and summon lava waves that will incinerate an entire lane's worth of enemy minions. When faced with a counter-attack, Ragnaros can empower a fort or keep, becoming a towering inferno over the structure and gaining a second set of abilities that will help you engulf assailants in the fires of doom. Ally yourself with Ragnaros to bring about a new era of destruction in the Nexus and show your opponents the true meaning of the words "raid boss".
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Strength[edit | edit source]
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Quest: Hit 75 Heroes with Living Meteor.
❢ Reward: After hitting 75 Heroes with Living Meteor, its duration is increased to 2.25 seconds, and the Ability can be recast to change its direction once per cast.
❢ Reward: After gathering 15 Regeneration Globes, activate Catching Fire to gain 25 Armor for 3 seconds, reducing damage taken by 25%.
- Hitting the same hero multiple times with the same meteor only counts as one stack.
- Every single enemy including Structures triggers the cooldown reduction.
- Does not trigger on or empower Basic Attacks affected by "Empower Sulfuras".
Hurl Sulfuras at the target area. It lands after 0.75 seconds, dealing 187 damage (+4% per level). Enemies in the center take an additional 594 damage (+4% per level) and are stunned for 0.5 seconds.
Release a wave of lava from your Core that travels down the targeted lane, dealing 240 damage (+4% per level) per second to non-Structure enemies in its path and instantly killing enemy Minions. Damage increased by 100% versus Heroes.
- The secondary Blast Wave gains the same benefits from Talents as the primary one.
Active: Activate to place yourself in stasis and heal for 600 Health (+4% per level) over 3 seconds.
Skins[edit | edit source]
Mounts[edit | edit source]
|Backstory: Many of the Firelord's foes believe that if they can just stay outside of his reach, he will be unable to chase them down. What part of "ALL SHALL BURN" was unclear?|
Portraits[edit | edit source]
Sprays[edit | edit source]
Calavera de Ragnaros
Old Timey Lil' Ragnaros
Emojis[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Development[edit | edit source]
Ragnaros was an immense challenge for the Heroes of the Storm team. They wanted a hero that can manipulate the battlefield, and one of the very early prototype ideas was having Ragnaros replace the core. He had a global set of abilities and these abilities would allow him to rain destruction from the sky with meteors, send lava waves, throw Sulfuras into the air - a lot of the abilities you actually see on his kit today, but he also had the ability to summon a Son of Flame. The Son of Flame was controllable by the Ragnaros player and gave him a lot of his team presence. However there was an overwhelming amount of feedback from our their team saying: "I don't feel like Ragnaros". The first problem was that the players were controlling that Son of Flame the majority of the game. That was kind of the avatar they saw, that was the hero they were playing. Number two, the only time you ever saw Ragnaros was when you were losing. He was a stationary core hero, so you never saw him except for his global abilities, and that felt horrible.
The next idea was to give Ragnaros the ability to submerge and move the core. Jade Martin explained: "As you can imagine, this is a terrible idea. Terrible. There are so many things wrong with this. I mean, What gets left behind when he moves the core? The team realized that this wasn't going to work as many problems came up with it (like "Is he invulnerable?", "Is he taking actual core damage?", "Does he move away other heroes in that space?", "Can he block that space?")." So they cut the idea, but they did learn something from it: It was really cool to see Ragnaros in the battlefields despite all the problems it caused, and they wanted to chase that fantasy of the raid boss being summoned in. Finally the idea came up that he could take over forts and keeps. They knew the space is large enough, he's not just showing up in random chokepoints, and forts and keeps are all over the map.
The next idea was to summon Ragnaros on those chokepoints by Majordomo Executus, who actually did it in the Molten Core raid. Majordomo got a set of abilities, but his primary goal was trying to summon in Ragnaros. The developers took this to the test team and the feedback was: "I still don't feel like Ragnaros, I love playing as the raid boss, it's cool when I summon him in, but when I lock-in Ragnaros as my hero, I don't want to play as Majordomo."
The final idea was "What if we just let the player play as Ragnaros the whole time?" So he has that hero form, and then the Molten Core form. The hero form is kind of like his weakened state. He is not quite as powerful, but when he takes over that fort, he becomes this gigantic raid boss that enemies fear.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Firelords debuted in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (July 2003). Ragnaros made his video game debut in World of Warcraft (November 2004).
- Ragnaros is voiced by Chris Metzen in World of Warcraft and Matthew Mercer in Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone.
- Ragnaros was one of the two heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2016.
- The biggest hurdle for new Ragnaros skins is the heavy load of FX work associated with him.
- The Sulfuron skin was inspired by the armor Ragnaros wore in the Firelands.
- The Lil' Ragnaros skin is a reference to the Lil' Ragnaros pet from World of Warcraft.
- Ragnaros's ability animations were designed to look distinct from the fire abilities used by Kael'thas and the Butcher.
- Ragnaros's hammer, Sulfuras, can be obtained both as a drop in the Firelands, and as a blacksmithing plan.
- Ragnaros's signature line, "By fire be purged!", is sometimes said by Kael'thas.
- Ragnaros's "the realm is on fire" quote references the song "The Roof Is on Fire" by Rock Master Scott & the Dynamic Three.
- Ragnaros's "songs of fire and fire" quote references the fantasy series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin.
- Ragnaros's "random damage" quote references the Ragnaros card in Hearthstone.
- Ragnaros's "flame on" quote references Johnny Storm of the Fantastic Four.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Concept art[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- New Heroes and More Announced at BlizzCon 2016!. Blizzard. Retrieved on 2016-11-04.
- Blizzplanet: BlizzCon 2016 Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive Panel Transcript
- Art and Animation AMA with Heroes Developers - July 11, 2018
- Blizzplanet: BlizzCon 2016 - Ragnaros: Concept Design
- Blizzplanet: BlizzCon 2016 - Ragnaros: Concept Design
[edit | edit source]
- Ragnaros Hero Week
- Ragnaros - Heroes of the Storm
- Ragnaros - Wowpedia
- Ragnaros Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Ragnaros Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Ragnaros Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm
|Bruisers_||Artanis • Chen • D.Va • Dehaka • Imperius • Leoric • Malthael • Ragnaros • Rexxar • Sonya • Thrall • Varian • Xul • Yrel|
|Healers_||Alexstrasza • Ana • Anduin • Auriel • Brightwing • Deckard • Kharazim • Li Li • Lt. Morales • Lúcio • Malfurion • Rehgar • Stukov • Uther • Tyrande • Whitemane|
|Melee Assassins_||Alarak • Gazlowe • Illidan • Kerrigan • Maiev • Murky • Samuro • The Butcher • Valeera • Zeratul|
|Ranged Assassins_||Azmodan • Cassia • Chromie • Falstad • Greymane • Fenix • Gall • Genji • Gul'dan • Hanzo • Jaina • Junkrat • Kael'thas • Kel'Thuzad • Li-Ming • Lunara • Mephisto • Nazeebo • Nova • Orphea • Probius • Raynor • Sgt. Hammer • Sylvanas • Tracer • Tychus • Valla • Zagara • Zul'jin|
|Support_||Abathur • Medivh • Tassadar • The Lost Vikings • Zarya|
|Tanks_||Anub'arak • Arthas • Blaze • Cho • Diablo • E.T.C. • Garrosh • Johanna • Mal'Ganis • Muradin • Stitches • Tyrael|