Protected is a buff effect preventing the Hero from taking any damage. When an ally is affected by Protected, his health bar shines silver-greenish, while enemies with the Protected status have a silver-reddish health bar.
While a Hero is Protected, attacks against the Hero will still hit the Hero, meaning that Attack Modifiers are applied and progress for hit-based quests, like Kael'thas' "Convection", is rewarded normally. Additionally, due to the damage prevention mechanic being "absorbing" (not to be confused with Absorbing) rather than "nullifying", attacks against Protected targets will still count as if they did full damage (after reductions from Armor effects). This allows the attacker to lifesteal or gain progress for damage-based quests, like Jaina's "Frostbite", by attacking Protected targets even though the target takes no damage.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Genji's ability, "Deflect", makes him channel for 1.25 seconds, becoming Protected for its duration.
- Medivh's ability, "Force of Will", makes an allied hero Protected for 1.5 seconds.
- His level 16 talent, "Circle of Protection", grants an untalented "Force of Will" to allies near the target.
- His level 16 talent, "Enduring Will", increases the duration of "Force of Will" to 2 seconds.
- Varian's level 4 talent, "Shield Wall", adds an additional effect to his "Parry" ability, making him Protected for 1.25 seconds.
- Alarak's level 10 heroic ability, "Counter-Strike", makes him Protected for 1 second.
- Leoric's level 20 talent, "Shroud of the Dead King", makes him Protected for 3 seconds.
- Lt. Morales' level 20 talent, "Safe Zone", makes allies exiting her Medivac Protected for 2 seconds.