|Release Date||July 12, 2016|
|Health||1701 (+4% per level)|
|Health Regen||3.54 (+4% per level)|
|Energy||Mana, 490 (+10 per level)|
|Stats per level|
- "Mana," can not be assigned to a declared number type with value 490.
- "%" can not be assigned to a declared number type with value 4.
Gul'dan, Darkness Incarnate, is a ranged assassin hero from the Warcraft franchise. Abandoning the ways of shamanism, Gul'dan entered a pact with the demon lord Kil'jaeden and betrayed his people in exchange for limitless power. With the orcish Horde under his master's thrall, both Draenor and Azeroth nearly fell into his grasp.
Gul'dan is a sustained damage mage who uses his health as fuel but can steal life.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Gul'dan was an orcish shaman from Draenor who became the first orcish warlock as well as the de facto founder of the Orcish Horde. Abandoning the ways of shamanism and betraying both his people and his mentor to the demon lord Kil'jaeden for personal power, Gul'dan was directly responsible for the orcs' fall to demonic enslavement as well as for the Horde's invasion of Azeroth. Tutored by the lord of the Burning Legion, he became the founder and master of the Shadow Council as well as the original creator of the necromantic terrors known as death knights. Gul'dan often referred to himself as "Darkness Incarnate" and the "Destroyer of Dreams", and he is considered to be one of the most powerful warlocks to have ever existed.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: Fel Flame's radius is increased by 10%.
❢ Reward: After the third strike, Corruption strikes 3 times in the opposite direction.
❢ Reward: After Gathering 20 Regen Globes your Basic Ability Mana costs are permanently reduced by 20.
Instantly kill an enemy Minion and heal for 800 (380 + 4% per level) Health. Stores 2 charges.
After a short delay, deal 263 (125 + 4% per level) damage and fear enemy Heroes in the area for 2 seconds.
Summon a rain of meteors in an area for 7 seconds. Each meteor deals 362 (172 + 4% per level) damage in a small area.
Activate to heal for 25% of your maximum Health.
Summon a Demonic Circle at your location. Activate to teleport to the Demonic Circle.
* Gives you two activatables: one for setting the circle and one for teleporting to it.
* Setting up the circle requires 1 second Channel and has one second cooldown.
* Teleporting is instant.
Quotes[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
| Gul'dan Skins|
|Backstory: Abandoning the ways of shamanism, Gul'dan entered a pact with the demon lord Kil'jaeden and betrayed his people in exchange for limitless power. With the orcish Horde under his master's thrall, both Draenor and Azeroth nearly fell into his grasp.|
750 / 10,000
Balespider (tier 12 warlock set)
|Backstory: The Balespider's Burning Vestments were woven from the cinderwebs of the Red Widow, Beth'tilac. Only by enduring the flames of the Firelands can a Warlock know its searing embrace.|
|Features: Themed abilities.|
|Notes: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Warcraft tier sets skins.|
|Backstory: With his deception complete, Gul'dan need no longer hide his face beneath a cowl. He is Darkness Incarnate, and all of the Nexus shall behold his true power in the war between shadow and light.|
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Gul'dan first appeared in Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness (1995).
- Gul'dan is voiced by Paul Eiding in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, and by Troy Baker in Heroes of the Storm, World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor, and World of Warcraft: Legion.
- In the Warcraft movie, Gul'dan is portrayed by Daniel Wu. Codes to unlock Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm were included in select physical editions of the movie on Blu-ray and DVD.
- Gul'dan's model in Heroes of the Storm was based on his WarCraft II sprite merged with aspects of his Warlords of Draenor appearance.
- Gul'dan was confirmed to be in the works at BlizzCon 2015.
- The design process behind Gul'dan's abilities was explained by Kent-Erik Hagman: "And we worked out, well, we don't want any more summoners in the game because Azmodan and Zagara have added enough health bars to the game, we don't want that UI clutter. So how can we get the warlock fantasy without doing summons? We knew we wanted to do Life Tap, it's basically our version of a trait or hero power is Life Tap. It's so perfect for warlock, it speaks to the mentality of "Give me power now, I'll deal with the consequences later." You know? That's so warlock fantasy. So we built around Life Tap, which lead to this whole queue which started out really complicated like "Oh, if you keep casting it, it gets stronger, it costs more mana," it was really complicated and after playing it for a while, and the toolset was like two paragraphs long, we thought "Wait, what if you just made it a really low cool down and a really high mana cost?" So we did that and it was like "Wow, it's the exact same gameplay with a fifth of the rules!" And from there it was like, well okay, if you're gonna have a low cooldown, spammable thing, obviously it's going to be insanely bursty, so you can kind of keep doing it all the time. And that's where he became the sustained damage mage. Just off of that interaction right there, the trait and the queue … the Drain Life, that's very warlocky, fed right into the trait as well."
- Legion Gul'dan resembles the version of the character featured in Warlords of Draenor and Legion.
- First War Gul'dan resembles Gul'dan as he appears in the Warcraft movie.
- One of Gul'dan's gag quotes references the book Beyond Good and Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future by philosopher Frederich Neitzsche.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Reddit: Gul'dan Confirmed, accessed on 2016-06-17
- Reddit: Gul'dan confirmed on recent Heroes panel, accessed on 2015-11-06
- Video Games Interview: Blizzard’s Kent-Erik Hagman on the past, present and future of Heroes of the Storm
[edit | edit source]
- In Development: Gul'dan, Auriel, Skins, and Mounts!
- Gul'dan Hero Week
- Gul'dan - Heroes of the Storm
- Gul'dan - World of Warcraft
- Gul'dan - Wowpedia
- Gul'dan Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Gul'dan Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Gul'dan Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm