The possibility of adding him has been discussed frequently by the game's developers, but he was decided against inclusion due to his size. However, he may be implemented as a battleground boss. During BlizzCon 2017 Kaeo Milker said: "So for Alexstraza, we knew we wanted to go with something that was a dragon aspect again. We get asked for Deathwing all the time. Deathwing is something that we'd want to be this big dragon all the time, which is just really, really difficult. So Alexstraza let us get the balance of fulfilling that dragon fantasy, and at the same time introducing a really interesting new support mechanic."
Background[edit | edit source]
Deathwing the Destroyer, formerly known as Neltharion the Earth-Warder, was one of the five Dragon Aspects and leader of the black dragonflight. However, driven mad by the Old Gods, he turned against the other Aspects during the War of the Ancients, eventually abandoning his title of Aspect of Earth in favor of being the Aspect of Death. Becoming one of the greatest terrors of the known world, his name too became one whispered with a feeling of fear and contempt among both mortals and dragons.
D.Va the Destroyer[edit | edit source]
D.Va skin The Destroyer is themed around Deathwing the Destroyer. The reason for the existence of this skin in Heroes of the Storm is a bit intricate. On the 22nd of April, 2017, the official Heroes of the Storm Twitter account posted a teaser for an upcoming cinematic to highlight the launch of Heroes of the Storm 2.0, as well as reveal the next hero coming to the Nexus after the upcoming release of Genji. One of the seemingly more popular fan theories in response to the teaser was that of the new hero being Deathwing. However, when the "Hanamura Showdown" cinematic was released on the 25th of April, it turned out that the new hero was actually D.Va and the teaser had apparently merely been hinting at Diablo's presence in the cinematic.
This sparked some controversy, with some players being disappointed by the lack of Deathwing or arguing that the teaser had been misleading, while others argued that it never made sense for the new hero to be Deathwing anyway and that it was the aforementioned players' fault for getting their hopes up over something that wasn't confirmed. In any case, the whole thing sparked something of a meme amongst the community, and in response Blizzard made the D.Va the Destroyer skin. As an added bonus, the In Development video where the skin was shown features a scene on the end card where D.Va the Destroyer and Genji kill Diablo in Hanamura.
References[edit | edit source]
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- Unique Hero Kill Voiceovers, accessed on 2014-03-09
- 2014-03-18, Hero Interaction Strings - Introduction Questions, accessed on 2014-03-18
- Heroes of the Storm Pax East 2014 Panel, New Characters, Character Creation Q & A Full Conference
- PAX Prime 2014 – Heroes of the Storm Interview
- Heroes Of The Storm Devs On The Fate Of Hanamura And Balance Changes
- Heroes of the Storm: Something sneaks around in Hanamura!
- Hint for the next Hero revealed on April 25th
- Heroes of the Storm 2.0 – Hanamura Showdown
- Reddit: Lore of the Warcraft crossover skins, Part 1 — D.Va the Destroyer, Herald of N'Zoth Alarak, and more
- In Development: Ana, Skins, Sprays, and More!