Damage over Time
Damage over Time (short: DoT) is a debuff that causes the affected unit to constantly take damage until the effect expires, is cleansed, or the target moves to the Hall of Storms. Damage is dealt at the end of each interval, the first of which begins when the spell lands, and the amount the unit will take is usually shown on the health bar as grey health. Some spells come with an initial damage, which may or may not be equal to the periodic damage. DoT effects will not interrupt certain effects that require the hero not to take damage while channeling, such as mounting or taking an objective. Once applied Damage over Time effects persist until they expire or get removed, regardless of its caster's state. This is a distinct from effects that deal constant periodic damage such as Burning Rage.
DoT effects have different ways of stacking with other instances of the same DoT. Some abilities fully stack with themselves, gaining increased damage or effects with each stack. Most abilities have only partial stacking, with reapplication of the DoT simply refreshing the effect. There are a few abilities with no stacking at all, so the DoT cannot be re-applied while a previous DoT is already present on the target.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Basic Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Ana's trait "Shrike" causes her basic attacks to apply a stacking DoT for 5 seconds, with each stack increasing the damage up to 5 times.
- Her level 4 talent, "Overdose", adds an additional effect to her "Sleep Dart" ability making it apply 3 stacks of "Shrike".
- Lunara's trait "Nature's Toxin" causes all damage dealt to apply a stacking DoT, with each stack increasing the duration by 3 seconds up to 3 times.
- Malthael's trait "Reaper's Mark" causes all damage dealt to apply a DoT for 4 seconds, dealing % max health damage and having interactions with his other abilities.
- His level 4 talent, "Black Harvest", increases the duration of "Reaper's Mark" to 6 seconds after the quest is completed.
- Stitches' trait "Vile Gas" applies a 3 second DoT to nearby enemies when he takes damage.
- Nazeebo's trait "Voodoo Ritual" applies a 6 second DoT but does not affect heroes.
- His level 20 talent, "Vile Infection", makes "Voodoo Ritual" apply its damage to heroes after the quest is completed.
- Nazeebo's "Plague of Toads" releases toads that each apply a stacking DoT for 6 seconds.
- Alexstrasza's "Flame Buffet" applies a 5.5 second DoT, multiple hits on enemies affected deal bonus damage and slow.
- Her level 20 talent, "Ancient Flame", causes "Dragon Queen" to apply the DoT to all enemies hit with her basic attacks.
- Chen's "Breath of Fire" applies a 3 second DoT on enemies affected by "Keg Smash".
- Cho's "Consuming Blaze" applies a 3 second DoT on all nearby enemies and heals Cho.
- Gul'dan's "Corruption" applies a stacking 6 second DoT with each hit, with each stack increasing the damage up to 3 times.
- Kael'thas' "Living Bomb" applies a non-stacking 3 second DoT after which it explodes applying itself to enemy heroes hit, but cannot affect the same enemy.
- Sylvanas' "Shadow Dagger" applies a non-stacking 2 second DoT to the target, and spreads to all nearby enemies with no limit.
- Valeera's "Garrote" applies a 7 second DoT and silences the target.
- Her level 20 talent, "Rupture", causes basic attacks to increase the damage and refresh the duration of the "Garrote" DoT.
Talents[edit | edit source]
- Abathur's level 1 talent, "Envenomed Nest", causes "Toxic Nest" to apply a 3 second DoT to all enemies hit.
- Garrosh's level 1 talent, "Warbreaker", causes "Groundbreaker" to apply a 3 second DoT to heroes hit after its quest is partially completed.
- Azmodan's level 4 talent, "Sin's Grasp", applies an 8 second DoT.
- Kerrigan's level 4 active talent, "Envenom", applies a 10 second DoT.
- Zagara's level 4 active talent, "Envenomed Spines", causes the next basic attack to apply a 5 second DoT.
- Zeratul's level 4 talent, "Rending Cleave", causes "Cleave" to apply a 3 second DoT.
- Murky's level 7 talent, "Time to Krill", causes basic attacks apply a stacking 4 second DoT and slow, with each stack increasing the damage and slow up to 5 times.
- Sonya' level 7 talent, "Poisoned Spear", causes "Ancient Spear" to apply a 6 second DoT to the enemy hit.
- Thrall's level 7 active talent, "Ancestral Wrath", applies a stacking 3 second DoT dealing % max health to the target enemy Hero and healing.
- Blaze's level 10 heroic, "Combustion", applies a 1 to 5 second DoT and slow to nearby enemies, depending on how long the ability was channeled.
- Murky's level 10 heroic, "March of the Murlocs", releases Murlocs that each apply a stacking 5 second DoT and slow that stacks indefinitely.
- Xul's level 10 heroic, "Poison Nova", applies a 10 second DoT to all enemies it hits.
- Murky's level 13 talent, "Wrath of Cod", causes "Pufferfish to apply a stacking 5 second DoT dealing % max health damage to all heroes hit.
- Ragnaros' level 16 talent, "Giant Scorcher", causes "Empower Sulfuras" to apply a 3 second DoT dealing % max health damage to all heroes hit.
- Blaze's level 20 talent, "Burn Notice", causes basic attacks to apply a stacking 2.5 second DoT and slow to all enemies hit, with each stack increasing the damage and slow up to 5 times.
Non-Heroic Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Junk Swarm Host's "Slime Pod Poison" applies a 5 second DoT to enemies hit.
|Attack_||Basic Attack ( Attack Range • Attack Speed) • Ability ( Mana • Spell Power • Cooldown)|
|Defense_||Health • Health Regeneration • Healing (Healing modifier • Lifesteal) • Shield • Armor|
|Buffs_||Absorbing • Evade • Healing • Invulnerable • Parry • Protected • Stasis • Stealth • Shields • Unkillable • Unstoppable • Untargetable|
|Debuffs_||Attack Slow • Blind • Crowd control • Damage over Time • Knockback • Revealed • Root • Silence ( Fear • Mind Control • Polymorph • Taunt) • Slow • Stun ( Sleep) • Time Stopped|