|Health||14,000 (+400 per minute)|
|Shield||7,000 (+200 per Minute)|
|Debuff||Splash Damage |
|Kill XP||Winning the Match|
At the center of their main base, each team has a Core. The destruction of the enemy Core is the ultimate objective of each game, immediately winning the match. Players should usually do everything possible to protect their Core, unless they are about to destroy the enemy's. They often represent the announcer on that specific map. Certain maps with two opposing sides can often have different Cores for each team.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Cores are structures with a large amounts of Health, and are able to defend themselves much like Forts, although they do a fixed 220 DPS splash damage. Cores have True Sight, meaning they will reveal and attack stealthed Heroes.
The Core is protected until at least one lane's Fort and Keep have been destroyed. In addition to their Health each Core also has a 'Shield', an additional measure of Hit Points equal to 50% of the Core's maximum health. These shields will regenerate if damaged at the rate of 100 (+2.86 per minute) each second as long as the core does not take further damage for 8 seconds, meaning the shields will fully regenerate after 70 seconds. While Cores do not regenerate Health over time, this Shield allows them to regain some survivability if the attackers fail to destroy them outright. The Health and Shields for each team's Core are displayed at the top of the screen throughout the match.
Unlike most other buildings, the Core’s HP and Shields scale from minute 1 to minute 20, capping out at 22,000 life and 11,000 shields for a total of 33,000 HP. So any strength heroes gain past that point just makes killing the Core easier. Late-game cores are fragile, and any amount of pressure from minions is an opportunity to end the game. One of the easiest ways to avoid throwing games is to take opportunities to end, so there is no late game to throw.
Core Types[edit | edit source]
- Alterac Pass: The Core is replaced by a General who fights against attacking enemies.
- Battlefield of Eternity, Infernal Shrines: Every 12 seconds, the Core will spawn 2 volleys of Frozen Orbs that explode, dealing 5% maximum Health as damage and Rooting enemy Heroes hit for 1.5 seconds.
- Blackheart's Bay: Every 4 seconds, the Core will shoot a cannonball at 2 nearby enemy Heroes, dealing 5% maximum Health as damage, slowing them by 70% for 1.5 seconds, and knocking them back.
- Braxis Holdout: Every 4 seconds, the Core will shoot 5 missiles at a nearby enemy Hero, dealing 5% maximum Health as damage per missile.
- Cursed Hollow: Every 3 seconds, the Core will spawn a Curse under a nearby enemy Hero. If they are Cursed, they take 5% maximum Health as damage and their Armor is reduced by 75 for 4 seconds.
- Dragonshire: Every 6 seconds, the Core will throw 2 boulders at a nearby enemy Hero. Heroes hit are turned to stone, damaged for 5% of their maximum Health, and Stunned for 1.75 seconds.
- Garden of Terror: Every 5 seconds, the Core shoots a seed under a nearby enemy Hero. When the seed explodes, Heroes inside are Polymorphed for 3 seconds.
- Hanamura Temple: Every 8 seconds, the Core fires 2 volleys of missiles around it, dealing 5% maximum Health to enemy Heroes and slowing them by 70% for 1.25 seconds.
- Sky Temple: Every 23 seconds, the Core will spawn 2 sets of 6 tornadoes which swirl around it, dealing 25 damage to enemy Heroes and knocking them back.
- Tomb of the Spider Queen: Every 5 seconds, the Core will shoot a Death Wave, dealing 5% maximum Health as damage to enemy Heroes and slowing them by 70% for 1.25 seconds.
- Towers of Doom: The core has greatly reduced health and is always "protected," but can still take 1 damage at a time from the specific map objectives available.
- Volskaya Foundry: Every 6 seconds, the Core shoots 3 Rocket Fists at nearby enemy Heroes, dealing 150 damage and knocking them back.
- Warhead Junction: Every 18 seconds, the Core launches a Nuke at a nearby enemy Hero, dealing 30% maximum health to enemy Heroes hit.
Demonic Core, used for the Punisher Arena and the right side of Battlefield of Eternity and the Infernal Shrines.
Poseidon core, used on Blackheart's Bay.
Gravekeeper's Core, used on the Haunted Mines and the right side of Towers of Doom.
Shimada's Dragon Core, used on Hanamura
Raven Core, used on Cursed Hollow and the left side of Towers of Doom
Serpent Core, used on Sky Temple.
Terran Core, used on Braxis Outpost.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Two Heroes so far have been designed to be a "Core Replacement": Ragnaros and the Overmind. The Overmind was changed to Abathur. and Ragnaros was redesigned as many problems arose with it.
- A Singularity is the reward inside every core in the game. They can be seen at the end of each game during the destruction of the core and the subsequent victory screen.
References[edit | edit source]
- 2014-05-04, Hero Suggestion Overmind. Blizzard Entertainment
- Blizzplanet: BlizzCon 2016 Heroes of the Storm Deep Dive Panel Transcript