|Title||High Priestess of Elune|
|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Tyrande Whisperwind, the High Priestess of Elune, is a ranged support hero from the Warcraft universe. She strikes fear into all who wish ill of the Kaldorei. As the highest ranking Sentinel and High Priestess of Elune, she is not only the Night Elves' most deadly warrior, but also their most cunning leader.
Tyrande marks enemy targets so they take increased damage. Summons owls to scout out enemy positions.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
A peerless hunter by moonlight and the chosen of the goddess Elune, Tyrande has led the night elves in war for ages.
Tyrande was born thousands of years ago and grew up in the company of Malfurion and Illidan Stormrage. She answered the call of the Sisters of Elune, followers of the night elves' Goddess of the Moon, and became a novice priestess, while the Stormrage brothers followed different paths. Their destinies merged anew when the Burning Legion arrived on Azeroth.
Tyrande and Malfurion grew close and battled against the invading demons together, but Illidan pursued a darker path, feigning allegiance to the Burning Legion and succumbing to the temptations of power. After the defeat of the Legion and the Sundering, Tyrande and Malfurion helped rebuild elven society; Illidan was imprisoned beneath Mount Hyjal.
The couple could not remain together for long; soon after the night elves settled near Mount Hyjal, Malfurion and the other night elf druids were needed in the Emerald Dream. While Malfurion slept in the Dream, Tyrande commanded her people, forming the Sentinels – the night elven army – to guard their lands and allies.
During the Third War, Tyrande sent her Sentinels to deter the advances of the Horde in Kalimdor, but ultimately ended up working with them to battle the armies of the Burning Legion, an effort that also forced her to awaken the druids, including Malfurion, from the Emerald Dream. Their time together was cut short when the elder Stormrage suffered from the corruption of the Dream, but Tyrande joined her lover to defeat the menace, and they both returned to Azeroth, where they protected their people (and the other races of the Alliance) from the destruction caused by Deathwing and the advances of Garrosh Hellscream in Kalimdor.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Repeatable Quest: Hitting enemy Heroes with Sentinel increases the maximum damage bonus by 3%.
❢ Reward: After hitting 10 Heroes, Lunar Flare no longer has a Mana cost.
❢ Reward: After hitting 20 Heroes, increase the range of Lunar Flare by 40%.
❢ Repeatable Quest: Every 60 Basic Attacks against enemy Heroes increase the duration of Hunter's Mark by 1 second.
Passively grant 10% increased Attack Damage to nearby allied Heroes. Activate to double this bonus for 5 seconds.
Stealth and gain 30% Movement Speed. When Shadowstalk's Stealth is broken, gain 50% Attack Speed and retain its Movement Speed bonus for 5 seconds.
Deal 91 (+4% per level) damage per second and slow enemies by 20% in an area. Lasts 8 seconds.
Activate to make Tyrande's Basic Attacks heal the target ally for 200% of the damage dealt. Lasts for 5 seconds.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- High Priestess of Elune
- Backstory: Tyrande Whisperwind strikes fear into all who wish ill of the Kaldorei. As the highest ranking Sentinel and High Priestess of Elune, she is not only the Night Elves' most deadly warrior, but also their most cunning leader.
- High Priestess
- Backstory: The vestments of the Sentinel General were blessed by Elune herself. Like the night elves before the World Tree's fall, they do not age and remain as pristine as when they were blessed.
- Backstory: Ever since they were children, Tyrande had known her fate was bound to that of Malfurion's. Now, she would serve as his warden, and for his betrayal the sentence would be eternal.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Night Elf alternative history skins.
- Blood Elf
- Backstory: Named for her ancestor, the first Sun Queen, Tyrande Windrunner serves the blood elves as their Ranger General, preparing her people for their pilgrimage into Outland.
- Epic Skin Features: Themed Abilities. The Light of Elune is gold and Sentinel summons a phoenix, while Basic Attack, Lunar Flare and Starfall have fiery effects.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of alternative history skins.
- Eagle Eye
- Backstory: When the Eternal Empire destroyed her home planet, Tyrande Solarwind swore to avenge her fallen people. Her quest has led her to the city of New York in order to eliminate her mortal enemy.
- Epic Skin Features: Themed Abilities. Light of Elune, Sentinel, Lunar Flare, and Starfall have comic book-style spell effects. Shadowstalk marks Heroes with a feather above their heads.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Eternal Empire skins.
- Love Goddess
- Backstory: With her enchanted arrows and her keen insight into the hearts of mortals, the Love Goddess is responsible for more than one match made in heaven.
- Epic Skin Features: Themed abilities.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of holiday skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tyrande first appeared in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002).
- Tyrande is voiced by Elisa Gabrielli.
- She was under consideration for inclusion as early as 2011.
- One of Tyrande's gag quotes is a reference to Sailor Moon's taunt phrase, "In the name of the Moon, I will punish you!" Tyrande's status as the High Priestess of Elune clearly shows.
- Tyrande's dance animation is derived from the dance steps of Beyoncé's Single Ladies music video.
- In Warcraft III, Tyrande was an Amazonian character. In World of Warcraft she had a moon dress and ceremonial armor that didn't necessarily reflect what the art team wanted from a character who was meant to be combative and hands-on on the battlefield. Her Heroes of the Storm design was meant to combine that iconic white dress with an armored Sentinel look.
- One of Tyrande's gag quotes refers to the Jehovah's Witnesses, a Christian denomination known for their door-to-door preaching.
- One of her gag quote references Goodnight Moon, a picture book for children.
- Tyrande owns a large frostsaber named Ash'alah.
- The Banshee Tyrande skin resembles the Highborne.
- The Stormwind Warden Tyrande skin resembles a Stormwind City archer.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-09, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – All Videos. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-12-12
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2015-06-12, IGN: How Blizzard's Heroes Went From Concepts to Icons
- Mr. Jack on DeviantArt: Ladies of Warcraft
[edit | edit source]
- Tyrande - Heroes of the Storm
- Tyrande Whisperwind - Wowpedia
- Tyrande Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Tyrande Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Tyrande Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm