|Title||Archangel of Justice|
|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Tyrael, the Archangel of Justice, is a melee warrior hero from the Diablo universe. Among the angels it is the Archangel of Justice who is humanity's greatest defender. Wielding his sword El'druin against the Burning Hells, the Prime Evils would have enslaved Sanctuary and all of humanity long ago if Tyrael had not intervened.
Tyrael is a front-line hero who can support his allies by shielding them and increasing their movement speed. He explodes when he dies, damaging nearby enemies.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to Diablo universe.
As a member of the Angiris Council, Tyrael has fought against the forces of Hell since time immemorial. For countless eons Tyrael thought the only principles of justice were the laws of the High Heavens. This view of Creation was shattered once he encountered the denizens of Sanctuary, humans. Humans were the spawn of rogue angels and demons who had become weary of the endless Eternal Conflict that consumed all of the focus of both Heaven and Hell.
While at first many angels saw humanity as an abomination, Tyrael saw the potential for good that resided within this new race. Tyrael would spend much of his time observing humanity, but direct interaction was forbidden by the laws of Heaven. Eventually Tyrael would come to face one of the most difficult decisions of his existence when humanity was endangered by the release of the Prime Evils onto Sanctuary. Tyrael would have to choose between following the law and letting the exiled leaders of Hell destroy mankind or intervening to help save humanity and turning his back on the one central ideal he held most dear. It was this decision that caused Tyrael to learn the true meaning of justice. Justice wasn't upholding some lofty, idealistic laws, it was doing what was right.
Tyrael came to the aid of the humans many times when the Three threatened them. First when he armed humanity with the sacred Soulstones to contain the Prime Evils and again when he sacrificed himself to destroy the corrupted Worldstone to prevent the forces of Hell from pouring into the mortal world, but not even death could stop the embodiment of Justice.
Twenty years later Tyrael would return from death only to find himself put on trial by his peers. Tyrael had done the unthinkable by interfering on the behalf of humanity and his answer to the crimes of breaking Heaven's laws was to renounce his divinity. Tyrael would no longer stand among the angels if it meant idly standing by while the innocent suffered. A now mortal Tyrael would immediately be faced with another challenge as the forces of hell sought after the Black Soulstone to unleash the Prime Evil upon Creation.
Tyrael would not face this challenge alone as a mortal hero, the Nephalem, would come to his aid in this battle against the forces of Hell. After a hard fought battle the forces of the Light would emerge victorious and the Prime Evil would be locked away within the Black Soulstone, but the threat wasn't over. The evil within the Stone would begin to seep out into Heaven where it held and only Tyrael could see the subtle changes within the holiest of realms. Tyrael was again faced with the decision of following the laws of Heaven or breaking them to save his former home, only this time his decision would have far darker consequences.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: After gathering 30 Regeneration Globes, you also gain 500 Health.
Activate to deal 10% of target enemy Hero's Max Health and heal for twice that amount.
Activate to gain 60 Spell Armor for 5 seconds.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Archangel of Justice
- Backstory: Of all the Aspects of Sin, Tyrael, the Lord of Pride, is the most ruthless. His every action and every thought serves only to fulfill the desires of his true master: himself.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities. El'Druin's Might reflects the altered appearance of his sword, and Smite creates an image of Diablo rather than an angelic rune.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of alternative history skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Tyrael was mentioned in the manual for Diablo (1996), and made his first appearance in Diablo II (2000).
- Tyrael is voiced by Ed Trotta in Diablo II and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction, and by Jonathan Adams in Diablo III, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Diablo III: Wrath, and Heroes of the Storm.
- Tyrael was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- NECA revealed the Heroes of the Storm Tyrael action figure at SDCC 2015.
- One of Tyrael's gag quotes references the Diablo II Act III cinematic "Mephisto's Jungle".
- Tyrael's "everything is fine" quote is a reference to the movie Eraserhead.
- Tyrael's "every time a bell rings" quote is a reference to the movie It's a Wonderful Life.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Developer Insights: Giving Tyrael Justice
- Tyrael Hero Week
- Tyrael - Heroes of the Storm
- Tyrael - Diablo Wiki
- Tyrael Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Tyrael Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Tyrael Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm