Towers of Doom
|Towers of Doom|
|Announcer||Grave Keeper & Raven Lord|
|Release Date||November 24th, 2015|
The Grave Keeper and the Raven Lord are engaged in a classic battle of evil versus… different evil? Protective magic shields your Core from enemy Heroes, but nothing will save you from these two masters of the dark arts. Hold the Bell Towers, capture the Altars, and unleash your wicked benefactor’s power on your enemies.
Background[edit | edit source]
The Grave Keeper and the Raven Lord have risen over a dark and mysterious city, each seeking to annex it into the territories they inhabit within the Nexus. Now locked in a struggle for dominance over the little gothic burg, these mythic beings demand that heroes contribute their might to this endeavor. Whether born from necessity, or merely for sport, their true intentions may never become clear—but one thing is certain: the battle for the Towers of Doom must be won!
Gameplay Guide[edit | edit source]
- Core Health: The core has 40 hp at the start of each game.
- Damaging the Core: Each team has a damage multiplier. The value is 1+ The number of keeps the team controls. Each team start with three keeps, so the multiplier starts at 4. Altars will spawn and successfully capturing an altar will cause you to deal damage to the enemy core equal to your damage multiplier. Note that the damage multiplier applies ONLY to dealing damage as a result of capturing an altar. It does not affect damage from any other sources (besides mercanaries).
- Controlling All Keeps: If your team manages to capture all six keeps, your core will deal 1 damage to the enemy core roughly every ~3.5 seconds. The bombardment ends if your foe retakes a tower, so use extreme caution.
- Keep Capturing: Unlike other maps, there is only one keep per lane, and capturing the keeps works much differently. When capturing a keep on the enemy's side of the lane, it will automatically destroy the turret tower and healing fountain next to it. A new, friendly keep will rise in its place. If the enemy destroys your new keep, then their own keep, the turret tower, and the healing fountain will all respawn. This process can be repeated infinitely, and whenever structures are respawning they are invincible for several seconds. Note that even during this invincibility phase, they still count towards the controlling team's damage multiplier. Also note that recapturing a keep on your side of the map will only respawn the turret tower and healing fountain nearest it. The gate and two turret towers that protected the keep will remain destroyed, meaning the keep will remain quite vulnerable.
- Use Tunnels: Later in the battle, the Grave Keeper and the Raven Lord will open tunnels near their respective core which leads to the field's center. Use this for a shortcut or if some of your heroes' Z key abilities are recharging.
- Kill Zone: When you enter the opposing team's Kill Zone, enemy cannons will lock on to you and blow you to smithereens. Stay out of the enemy base and focus on capturing Bell Towers and Altars.
Map layout[edit | edit source]
Towers of Doom features three lanes, spread out to form a medium-sized map. Unlike most maps, though, these lanes only feature one castle for each team, rather than the typical two. Between the lanes (and below bottom lane) there are altars which periodically activate, triggering the map's main objective.
Mercenary camps[edit | edit source]
- Sappers: Siege camps are pumpkin headed minions. The pumpkin heads will spawn in triplets. However, when they get close to a keep they will charge the keep and explode, dealing massive damage. If the pumpkin heads advance on a fort that has already been captured, they will continue down the lane until they reach the end of the lane, at which point each pumpkin head will suicide and deal 1 damage to the enemy core.
- Headless Horseman: When capturing the boss, the boss will not advance down a lane. Instead, it will immediately deal four damage to the enemy core.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- A Spirit Healer from World of Warcraft can be seen on this map while dead.
- There a many ghost farmers, miners and knights found around this map. They appeared living on Cursed Hollow, Haunted Mines and Dragon Shire respectively.
- The symbol of the Raven Lord can be seen on the ghostly minecarts mine entrences on this map.
- On some of the gravestones on this map you can see the Horde symbol.
- Gamedata refers to this map as "Winter Crest".
- Hammer Time and Ghost Protocol are Brawls set on a modified version of Towers of Doom.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cho'gall, Greymane, Johanna, and Lunara fight the Headless Horseman.
- Dehaka tunnel.jpg
Dehaka about to use a tunnel.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
- Towers of Doom - Official site
- Towers of Doom Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Towers of Doom Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm