|Title||The Banshee Queen|
|Release Date||March 24, 2015|
|Stats per level|
Sylvanas Windrunner, the Banshee Queen, is a ranged specialist hero from the Warcraft universe. She was not always the Dark Lady of the Forsaken. In another life, Sylvanas was the Ranger-General of Silvermoon. But that was before the death knight Arthas slew her and her people and raised her as the first banshee.
Sylvanas disables enemy minions and fortifications. Killing enemies replenishes her Withering Fire for continuous damage.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
As the Queen of the undead Forsaken, Sylvanas Windrunner seeks a higher purpose for a people who have already died once.
Sylvanas was once the ranger-general of Silvermoon, a commander charged with defending the elven kingdom of Quel'Thalas. She perished during the Third War, when her homeland was ravaged by Arthas Menethil and the undead Scourge, but her death was not the end. Cruelly, Arthas ripped her soul from her body, subjugating her as a banshee, a hate-filled agent of the Scourge. When the Lich King was weakened by an assault from Illidan Stormrage, Sylvanas and other willful undead broke free from his control and built a new home beneath the fallen kingdom of Lordaeron. They called themselves the Forsaken, and vowed to exterminate the Lich King at all costs.
After fighting for their right to join the Horde, Sylvanas led her "people" to the continent of Northrend to destroy the Lich King. Before they could succeed, an uprising among the Forsaken killed members of the Horde and Alliance, casting a shadow of mistrust over Sylvanas. She came to dwell on the Forsaken's dim prospects for the future; they were despised and unable to procreate. Ultimately, the Banshee Queen made a pact with the Val'kyr, nightmarish creatures capable of creating more undead, to give the Forsaken a chance to persist on Azeroth.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
- The Banshee Queen
- Backstory: Sylvanas Windrunner was not always the Dark Lady of the Forsaken. In another life, she was the Ranger-General of Silvermoon. But that was before the Death Knight Arthas slew her and her people and raised her as the first Banshee.
- Price: 10,000 / $9.99 / 8.99€ (free for players recruited by Recruit a Friend upon reaching player level 10)
- Backstory: The Ranger-Generals are the commanders of the Farstriders of Quel'Thalas. It is their solemn duty to ensure the protection of Silvermoon, or give their life in its defense.
- Price: $7.49 / 6.49€
- Skin Features: Altered voice-over.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of character's pre-change skins.
- Sugar Plum
- Backstory: Sugar and spice? Maybe. Everything nice? Not by a long shot.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. Withering Fire, Shadow Dagger, Haunting Wave, and Wailing Arrow have new spell effects, and her banshees have fairy wings.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of holiday skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sylvanas first appeared in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002).
- Piera Coppola voiced Sylvanas in Warcraft III. Patty Mattson voices Sylvanas in World of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm.
- She was under consideration for inclusion as early as 2011.
- Sylvanas was one of the heroes announced at BlizzCon 2014.
- The second tint of the Ranger-General skin (with its green hood and facepaint) may have been inspired by the disguise Oliver Queen used in the first season of Arrow.
- One of Sylvanas's gag quotes references her signature song, the Lament of the Highborne.
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
- March 29th, 2016 (17.0.4)
-Basic Attack damage increased from 74 (+4% per level) to 85 (+4% per level) -Corruption (Talent) removed -Envenom (Talent) removed -Blood for Blood (Talent) removed -Will of the Forsaken (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 13 -Remorseless (Talent) moved from Level 7 to Level 16 >Damage bonus increased from 25% to 40% -New Talent (Level 7): Possession >Turn the allegiance of a non-Catapult enemy Minion. Stores up to 3 charges -Black Arrows (Trait) >Paralysis (Talent) moved from Level 4 to Level 1 Duration bonus reduced from 100% to 75% >Unstable Poison (Talent) Explosion damage no longer affects Heroes or Structures >Overwhelming Affliction (Talent) moved from Level 13 to Level 16 Slow amount per stack increased from 5% to 6% -New Talent (Level 1): Mercenary Queen >Nearby non-Boss, allied Mercenaries deal 50% more damage -Withering Fire (Q) >Damage increased from 39 (+4% per level) to 48 (+4% per level) >Splinter Shot (Talent) removed >With the Wind (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 4 >Barbed Shot (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 7 >Evasive Fire (Talent) moved from Level 13 to Level 16 >Overflowing Quiver (Talent) This Talent’s functionality has changed Now releases a free Withering Fire shot whenever a nearby enemy Minion dies. The free shot can only hit non-Heroic targets >New Talent (level 4): Withering Barrage Gain an additional charge of Withering Fire, and charges fire 33% faster. -Shadow Dagger (W) >Life Drain (Talent) moved from Level 7 to Level 13 >Lost Soul (Talent) moved from Level 1 to Level 4 This Talent’s functionality has changed Now reduces the cooldown of Shadow Dagger by 1.25 seconds for each enemy Hero hit >Cold Embrace (Talent) This Talent’s functionality has changed No longer reduces Shadow Dagger’s range Only the initial Shadow Dagger target becomes Vulnerable -Haunting Wave (E) >Ranger’s Ambush (Talent) removed >Shade Form (Talent) removed >Windrunner (Talent) moved from Level 16 to Level 13 Withering Fire charges now refill after teleporting The duration in which Haunting Wave can be cast a second time for free has been increased from 2 to 5 seconds -New Heroic (R): Mind Control >After channeling for 1 second, gain control of an enemy Hero’s movement for 2.5 seconds >Dark Lady’s Call (Talent) This Talent’s functionality has changed and now affects Mind Control Now increases target’s Movement Speed by 100%
- August 18th, 2015 (13.0.0)
-Mercenary Lord (Talent) removed.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Blizzard DOTA models of Sylvanas and various other heroes.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
[edit | edit source]
- Sylvanas Hero Week
- Sylvanas - Heroes of the Storm
- Sylvanas Windrunner - World of Warcraft
- Sylvanas Windrunner - Wowpedia
- Sylvanas Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Sylvanas Quotations
- Sylvanas Quotes on YouTube