|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Sonya, the Wandering Barbarian, is a melee warrior hero from the Diablo universe. From the frozen Dreadlands of the north come the mighty Barbarian warriors. After surviving the destruction of her home and death of her tribe, Sonya wanders Sanctuary in search of battle and a better life for her people.
Sonya is a direct fighter who uses Fury instead of Mana. Leeches life from enemies by attacking and using Abilities.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to Diablo universe.
Steeped in mystery and tradition, these people refer to themselves as the "Children of Bul-Kathos," the great and ancient king. To better protect their lands from outside forces, they adopted a nomadic lifestyle, frequently moving within the confines of the Steppes and maintaining few permanent settlements. Isolating themselves from the world outside their territories, they eschew the use of magics and complex machinery, as they believe these things can only weaken their resolve developed over so many years.
The Children of Bul-Kathos have developed a kinship with the land and have learned to harness the primal energies within nature to enhance their own substantial physical prowess. It is because of this, together with their freedom from the trappings of the outside world, that the Western Kingdoms have historically referred to these tribes as "Barbarians," an epithet that belies the rich cultural and spiritual history these people truly possess. Although some trade with these curious bands of nomads, they do so only along the outermost borders of their lands. All intrusions into the territory surrounding Mount Arreat are forbidden, and warriors from the northern tribes are quick to thwart any incursions. Every foreign attempt at conquest has been met with fierce and decisive resistance.
An account of one skirmish recounts how hordes of Barbarian tribesmen silently appeared where none had been but moments before. Their bodies painted in mysterious designs and their faces howling as they charged like the fierce mountain winds, the tribesmen descended on the invaders. Fully half of the trespassing army immediately dropped their weapons and fled, the remainder were set upon by the Northmen with fervor that none of the battle-hardened invaders had ever witnessed. No mercy was asked and none was given, but in the end, when the outlanders sounded a full retreat, no chase was given either... at least none that could be observed.
Since news of Diablo's re-emergence has spread, a small number of Barbarian warriors have begun roving the lands outside the Steppes, prepared for war and seeking information regarding the recent activities of the Prime Evils.
Renowned for their awesome combat prowess as well as their arrogant demeanor, the Barbarians appear to be perpetually girt for battle. Through harsh conditioning, the Barbarians excel in physical combat and tremendous feats of strength. They derive their power chiefly through intense physical training, but they also tap primal energies from the living world around them. They can manifest these or add to their already considerable catalogue of superhuman feats of strength and power.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Wandering Barbarian
- Wrath (Tier 2 Warrior set)
- Backstory: The portal-loving treasure goblins collect spoils from many worlds. There's no telling which hero this Battlegear of Wrath once belonged to, but they're probably not alive to miss it.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Warcraft tier sets skins.
- Backstory: While traveling through time, the gladiatrix Sonya was exposed to a radioactive robo-virus. Without a way home, she fights tirelessly to keep the streets of New York safe.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. Ancient Spear, Seismic Slam, and Whirlwind have comic book-style animations.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Earth vs Mars skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Sonya represents the barbarian class from Diablo III (2012).
- Sonya is voiced by Athena Karkanis.
- Sonya was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- The idea to include a barbarian in the game was in place as early as 2011.
- She may have been named after and/or inspired by Red Sonja.
- Several of her gag quotes are inspired by the 1982 Conan the Barbarian movie.
- The Super Sonya skin incorporates elements from the X-Men character Cable (such as the glowing eye and robotic virus) and from the X-Men character Shatterstar (such as the eye-mark and swords).
Balance changelog[edit | edit source]
- March 9th, 2016 (16.4.4)
-Wrath of the Berserker (R) >Cooldown increased from 45 to 60 seconds
- February 2nd, 2016 (16.0.4)
-Seismic Slam (W) >Primary target damage reduced from 192 (+4% per level) to 176 (+4% per level) >Splash damage decreased from 48 (+4% per level) to 44 (+4% per level)
- August 18th, 2015 (13.0.0)
-Health increased from 930 (+210 per level) to 950 (+220 per level). -Fury (Trait) >Shot of Fury (Talent) No longer dismounts Sonya on activation. -Whirlwind (E) Healing reduced from 25% to 20% of damage dealt and healing for damage dealt to Heroes has increased from double to triple. >Life Funnel (Talent) Healing bonus decreased from +10% to +5% of damage dealt.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- Heroes of the Storm, Blizzard Entertainment. Accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2013-11-15, Character List of Heroes of the Storm. Blizzpro, accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
[edit | edit source]
- Sonya - Heroes of the Storm
- Sonya - Diablo Wiki
- Sonya Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Sonya Quotations
- Sonya Quotes on YouTube