|This article contains information that may be out of date.
You can help by updating the information as necessary.
Mounts are a feature which enables heroes to move quickly through the battleground by channeling the spell for a brief period. While riding a mount, heroes receive a 30% boost to their movement speed which allows them to cross the battleground or get to objectives quickly, however, heroes cannot fight on mounts as taking damage, attacking, or using an ability will dismount immediately.
Players choose their hero's mount before entering the game, and can assign different mounts to different heroes. There are different types of mounts in the game, with the Horse and Battle Beast mounts being free mounts which are available to players from the start, and other mounts being available either by purchase from the store or by promotional means. Different mounts however, do not provide any mechanical change and are purely cosmetic.
Mounts are available with the basic color variation at hero level 1 with the second and third color variations available to that hero when it reaches level 6 and 9 respectively. Some heroes, such as Alarak, Anub'arak, Azmodan, and Zagara, are limited to their default mounted forms and mounts they can stand on (such as Blackheart's Doubloon, Champion's Nexagon, Championship Banner, Hearthstone Card, Magic Carpet, Star Chariot, and Void Speeder). Other heroes cannot use any mounts and have their mount button function changed. The Lost Vikings and Sgt. Hammer gain a temporary speed boost when using the mount button, while Abathur, Brightwing, Dehaka, Falstad, Lunara, Medivh, and Rehgar travel in other ways.
Background[edit | edit source]
The idea for mounts came from Thrall, where, in early development, he was given a Cyber Wolf to ride in order to distinguish him from Za'Muro which sparked the idea of the use of mounts in general. Originally, each hero had their own mount. For instance, Kerrigan used a Zergling.
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Horses[edit | edit source]
- Armored War Steed
- Celestial Horse
- Backstory: A beacon of hope; a guiding sparkle of light in the darkness.
- Price: Free with purchase of Gems.
- Rainbow Unicorn
- Saddled Horse
- Backstory: While zebras are in the equid family, they're technically not horses. I'm just sayin...
- Price: Available in the Welcome Bundle.
Beasts[edit | edit source]
- Battle Beast
- Backstory: The home realm of the Battle Beasts has been lost to time, but these monstrous creatures have been found roaming even the farthest, most terrifying lands of the Nexus.
- Price: Free
Purchased via shop[edit | edit source]
- 2015 Champion's Nexagon
- Backstory: It is said that at the moment of their victory, their name echoed across the many realms of the Nexus. Cloud9... the World Champions of BlizzCon 2015.
- Price: 5,000 (not currently available)
- 2016 Spring Champion's Nexagon
- Backstory: This Nexagon was forged from the essence of great conflict, and is permanently emblazoned with the name of MVP Black, the 2016 Spring Global Champions.
- Price: $4.99 / 3.99€ (no longer available)
- 2016 Summer Finals Nexagon
- Backstory: Each Nexagon is brought into being at a moment of significant triumph. This one forever carries the name of Tempest, the 2016 Summer Global Champions.
- Price: $4.99 / 3.99€ (no longer available)
- 2016 Fall Finals Nexagon
- Backstory: Conflict is the true essence of the Nexus, and this Nexagon represents the incredible triumph of Ballistix, the 2016 Fall Global Champions.
- Price: $4.99 / 3.99€
- Amani War Bear
- Backstory: Only the swiftest heroes venturing into the troll temple of Zul'Aman were able to subdue these rare battle mounts. It's much easier to tame them in the Nexus.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available with purchase of the Emberlord Zul'jin Bundle
- Blackheart's Doubloon
- Butcher's Battle Beast
- Backstory: Fitted with furnace plates, this battle beast was made to be ridden by the Butcher himself. Of course, if you want to throw someone else up there we won't stop you.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Iron Butcher Bundle (no longer available)
- Championship Banner
- Backstory: Why hang your championship banner from the dusty ol' rafters? Ride on top of it, and lord your victory over your foes instead!
- Price: $7.49 / 6.99€, also was available in the Azmodunk Bundle
- Cloud Serpent
- Backstory: At the height of his reign, Serpent King Xul's elite soldiers blotted out the sun on the backs of their Cloud Serpents. With his debt to the Spider Queen fulfilled, those times may soon come again.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Serpent King Xul Bundle (no longer available)
- Crimson Hare
- Backstory: A steed as famous as the general it carries in to battle, the Crimson Hare leaps across rivers and bounds up mountainsides with ease. It is said that it can run a thousand miles in a single day.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Mystic Kingdoms Arthas Bundle or the Ultimate Arthas Bundle (no longer available)
- Cyber Ram
- Backstory: The Predator C-250, AKA the "Cyber Ram," was designed to operate within the harsh conditions on Kel-Morian mining worlds. Favoring durability over speed, they are built for the long haul.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Maraudin' Muradin Bundle (no longer available)
- Cyber Wolf
- Backstory: The Predator A-130, the "Cyber Wolf," should replace the first generation Predators by 2506. Note: The Dominion takes no responsibility for injuries incurred while trying to ride them.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€ (no longer available)
- Demonic Hellsteed
- Backstory: Riders of this infernal steed are in for a real nightmare.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Demonic Hellsteed Bundle (no longer available)
- Dire Wolf
- Backstory: The dire wolves of Draenor have long been kindred spirits of the shamanistic orc clans. As the Orcish Horde rallied for war, these wolves became the mounts of the Raider army.
- Price: $7.49 / 6.99€ (no longer available)
- Eye Pad
- Backstory: Watch yourself. All-Seeing Eyes tend to see everything.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Hallow's End 2016 Bundle and Hallow's End 2016 Ultimate Bundle
- Golden Lunar Rooster
- Headless Horseman's Charger
- Backstory: Be it into the flood, or into the fire, this one will go where you require. HAHA-HAHAHAHA!
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Hallow's End 2015 Bundle, Hallow's End 2015 Ultimate Bundle, Hallow's End 2016 Bundle and Hallow's End 2016 Ultimate Bundle (no longer available)
- Backstory: The Hellboars of Hellfire Penninsula are known for their vicious tempermant. Only the Hellblade Wanderer, Samuro, was ever known to tame one.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available with purchase of the Hellblade Samuro Bundle.
- Judgement Charger
- Backstory: Judgement must be swift and absolute. With this Charger, it will be.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Judgment Uther Bundle
- Lunar Dragon
- Backstory: Among the most iconic images of the Lunar Festival is the Lunar Dragon. Its fierce appearance is said to ward off evil spirits... and perhaps some weaker foes within the Nexus.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in 2016 Lunar Festival Bundle (no longer available)
- Lunar Tiger
- Backstory: The Lunar Festival is a celebration of Azeroth's triumph over the Burning Legion millennia ago. It is a time to remember the valor and wisdom of ages gone by.
- Price: Available with purchase of the Lunar Festival Skin Bundle or the Lunar Festival Complete Bundle
- Magic Carpet
- Backstory: Hop on, and I'll show you a whole new world. Hey! Don't you DARE close your eyes!
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in Luxoria Skin Bundle or the Luxoria Complete Bundle (no longer available)
- Marshal's Outrider
- Backstory: No one can outride a Confederate Marshal's Outrider! Unless they have a car or something.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Marshal Raynor Bundle (no longer available)
- Backstory: So, is it a white horse with black stripes and an evil soul-consuming voodoo mask, or a black horse with white stripes and an evil soul-consuming voodoo mask?
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€ (no longer available)
- Nexus Charger
- Piggy Bank
- Backstory: This reindeer doesn't play games.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€ (only available during the Winter Veil event)
- Ringmaster's Pride
- Backstory: If Ringmaster Greymane's pride is going to bring about anyone's fall... it's going to be his enemy's.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Ringmaster Greymane Bundle (no longer available)
- Space Lord's Starbreaker
- Backstory: Who can stand against an Empire with the power to break a star?
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Space Lorde Leoric Bundle (no longer available)
- Spectre Phantom
- Backstory: Originally designed as a part of Project Shadowblade, the Phantom was intended to serve as a single-rider infiltration vehicle for the Dominion's elite spectre operatives.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Leading Ladies Bundle or the Ultimate Leading Ladies Bundle (no longer available)
- Star Chariot
- Backstory: Conjured by the magic of love and justice, the Star Chariots carry the Star Princesses into battle against the forces of evil. Each one is a reflection of its Princess's own spirit and personality.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€, also was available in the Star Princess Li-Ming Bundle (no longer available)
- Treasure Goblin
- Tyrael's Charger
- Backstory: A symbol of justice throughout all known realms... and a couple of unknown ones too.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€ (no longer available)
Purchased only via bundles[edit | edit source]
- Backstory: A special creation of Lord Illidan gifted to his most trusted demon hunters as they stormed Marduum, the Shattered Abyss.
- Price: Available with purchase of the Demon Hunter Valeera Skin Bundle.
- Golden Cyber Wolf
- Backstory: The Predator A-130G, AKA the "Golden Cyber Wolf," was developed for use on low-orbit platforms. Few prototypes survived initial testing, and are now prized by collectors.
- Price: Available with purchase of the Battle Bundle or the Founder's Pack (no longer available)
- Golden Tiger
- Backstory: It's said that gold is lucky, come to think of it, they say tigers are lucky too. So that thing's gotta be double lucky, right?
- Price: Available with purchase of the Heroes of the Storm Starter Pack.
- Ghost Speeder
- Backstory: This standard-issue speeder allows ghosts to reach their targets quickly and exfiltrate even faster. What? You've never seen one before? Exactly!
- Price: Available with purchase of the Machines of War Bundle or Queen of Ghosts Kerrigan Skin and Bundle.
Seasonal events[edit | edit source]
- Heart Stone
- Backstory: Usually, you'd have to piece one of these together. So just be careful not to break it.
- Price: Available with purchase of the 2017 Love is in the Air Bundle.
- Nimbus Cloud
- Backstory: The Monkey King is said to be able to somersault through the air and leap across great distances with ease. Now, with this magical cloud, you can too!
- Price: Available with purchase of the 2017 Lunar Festival Bundle.
- Special Snowflake
- Backstory: All snowflakes are unique, but not all of them are special. If they were, then none of them would be.
- Price: Only available in the Winter Veil 2016 Bundle (no longer available)
Ranked reward[edit | edit source]
- Elemental Lion
- Backstory: The regal Elemental Lions serve those with courage in the face of battle. Granted for reaching Platinum in Hero League or Bronze in Team League during Season Two.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Platinum rank in Hero League or Bronze rank in Team League on Season 2 (no longer available)
- Elemental Lizard
- Backstory: Elemental Lizards are stalwart companions to those who earn their trust. Granted for reaching Platinum in Hero League or Bronze in Team League during Season One.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Platinum rank in Hero League or Bronze rank in Team League on Season 1 (no longer available)
- Elemental Stag
- Backstory: A rare sight, Elemental Stags are blazing symbols of valor and bravery. Granted for reaching Platinum in Hero League or Bronze in Team League during Season Three.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Platinum rank in Hero League or Bronze rank in Team League on Season 3
- Elemental Wolf
- Backstory: Elemental Wolves heed the call of only those they deem worthy. Granted for attaining Rank 20 in Hero League or Rank 40 in Team League during Preseason.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Rank 20 on Pre-Season (no longer available)
- Epic Elemental Lion
- Backstory: Adorned in its battle armor, this Epic Elemental Lion is ready at a moment's notice to ride for war. Granted for reaching Master in Hero League or Team League during Season Two.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Master rank on Season 2 (no longer available)
- Epic Elemental Lizard
- Backstory: Only the most resilient of heroes can withstand the Epic Elemental Lizard’s flames. Granted for reaching Master in Hero League or Team League during Season One.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Master rank on Season 1 (no longer available)
- Epic Elemental Stag
- Backstory: Imbued with great power, this Epic Elemental Stag possesses a primal grace that inspires awe in all who see it. Granted for reaching Master in Hero League or Team League during Season Three.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Master rank on Season 3
- Epic Elemental Stag 1.jpg
Epic Elemental Stag
- Epic Elemental Stag 2.jpg
Azure Epic Elemental Stag
- Epic Elemental Stag 3.jpg
Verdant Epic Elemental Stag
- Epic Elemental Wolf
- Backstory: The Epic Elemental Wolf's loyalty is commanded only by the elite. Granted for attaining Rank 10 in Hero League or Team League during Preseason.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Rank 10 on Pre-Season (no longer available)
Seasonal events[edit | edit source]
- Festive Goblin
- Backstory: Dash through the Nexus on a Festive Goblin mount during the Winter Veil event! If you complete 25 games during Winter Veil you will earn the Festive Goblin mount permanently and the Special Snowflake portrait!
- Price: Awarded for playing 25 games during the 2016 Winter Veil (no longer available)
- Lunar Rooster
- Backstory: The Lunar Rooster's tastes are ephemeral, and even gaining its blessing can take a lot of effort. But its loyalty? That can only be won through victory.
- Price: Awarded for completing the Rooster Race 25 times during the 2017 Lunar Festival
Promotional[edit | edit source]
- Billie the Kid
- Backstory: Not all Billies have to be wondrous. It's okay to be a normal Billie too... In fact, it's more than okay! It's great!
- Price: Rewarded for making a real-money purchase after launch on June 2nd, 2015 (no longer available)
- Backstory: These demonic beasts serve as bloodhounds for their infernal masters, seeking out sources of powerful magic wherever it may hide. It seems even the Nexus is not safe from the Legion's hounds.
- Price: Awarded for purchasing the Collector's Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition of World of Warcraft: Legion
- Flames of Judgement Charger
- Backstory: The pursuit of justice is not to be taken lightly. It must be as merciless and unrelenting as a raging inferno.
- Price: Rewarded for playing 15 games with friends during the For Azeroth! event
- Hearthstone Card
- Backstory: Deceptively simple. Insanely fun.
- Price: Rewarded for winning 100 matches in Hearthstone's play mode during Heroes of the Storm launch event
- Hell Billie
- Backstory: Just when you thought Billie's couldn't get more baaaa-d...
- Price: Rewarded for making a real-money purchase after launch on June 2nd, 2016
- Ironside Dire Wolf
- Backstory: Originally from an alternate universe where Draenor was ruled by the Iron Horde, the Ironside Dire Wolf has followed its new master into the Nexus.
- Price: Rewarded for reaching Level 100 in World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor during Heroes of the Storm launch event
- Malthael's Phantom
- Backstory: This magical spider construct was fully customized by our crack team of gnomish engineers. After one or two minor explosions, it's ready to skitter its way across the Nexus!
- Price: Rewarded for creating a team at teambuilder.heroesofthestorm.com
- Nexus Battle Beast
- Backstory: The battle beasts have become so much a part of their new home within the Nexus that some of its energies have coalesced into their familiar shape. Released in commemoration of BlizzCon 2015.
- Price: Rewarded for buying a 2015 BlizzCon Ticket or Virtual Ticket (no longer available)
- Nexus Tiger
- Backstory: As time passed, the energies of the Nexus began manifesting as increasingly more deadly creatures. Yet, none know why. Released in commemoration of BlizzCon 2016.
- Price: Rewarded for buying a 2016 BlizzCon Ticket or Virtual Ticket (no longer available)
- Orochi Hovercycle
- Backstory: The fuel cell injected endorphin inducing performance of the Izumi Hovercycle is without competition. The highly customized Orochi variant once saw use among the Shimada clan elite.
- Price: Rewarded for playing 30 games with friends during the Nexus Challenge (no longer available)
- Void Speeder
- Backstory: Few things are as exciting as riding a Void Speeder through the jungles of Aiur. It even works on water!
- Price: Awarded for purchasing the Collector's Edition or Digital Deluxe Edition of StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void
- Backstory: Despite its reputation as a death trap, the Vulture is still considered a classic piece of engineering by enthusiasts.
- Price: Rewarded when at least four Recruits reach player level 10
- Wonder Billie
- Backstory: Refugees of a fallen kingdom of sparkles and whimsy, these Billie Goats are often drawn to the earliest supporters of the Nexus. Looks like you've made a friend for life!
- Price: Rewarded for making a real-money purchase in the Tech Alpha and Closed Beta (no longer available)
Unable to obtain[edit | edit source]
- Illidan's Nightmare
- Backstory: Long ago, the Demon Hunters of Azeroth swore a pact that they would use demons own weapons against them. Their nightmarish steeds are no exception.
- Price: Unknown
Hero-specific Mounts[edit | edit source]
- Broodmother Flight
- Useable by Zagara.
- Backstory: Abathur's alterations of the Queen essences suppressed their flight in order to improve their abilities to care for the Hive. Of course, this does not extend to Broodmothers.
- Crypt Lord Wings
- Useable by Anub'arak.
- Backstory: In the years following the Third War, Azerothian scholars hypothesized that the wings of spiderlords were vestigal, incapable of flight. They were very wrong.
- Flames of Wrath
- Useable by Azmodan.
- Backstory: As the Lord of Sin, Azmodan can draw upon each of its various vices. Once his wrath is unleashed, there are few creatures that can outrun it.
- Highlord's Ascent
- Useable by Alarak.
- Backstory: Should he choose to float only an inch off the ground, you would still be beneath the Highlord.
- Molten Flow
- Useable by Ragnaros.
- Backstory: Many of the Firelord’s foes believe that if they can just stay outside of his reach, he will be unable to chase them down. What part of "ALL SHALL BURN" was unclear?
- Terror Charge
- Useable by Diablo.
- Backstory: See Diablo. See Diablo run. Wait... since when can Diablo run? Run from Diablo! Run!!!
- Cho'Gall carrying a horse
- Useable by Cho.
Skin-specific Mounts[edit | edit source]
- Bat Form
- Useable by Crimson Count Arthas.
- Backstory: Marquis Arthas was never one for intensive study. It is little wonder, then, that his mastery over the power of transformation is somewhat... incomplete. Still, it makes for a fearsome visage.
- Bat Transformation
- Useable by Countess Kerrigan.
- Backstory: It's Heroes of the Storm Trivia Time™! Did you know that the Countess Kerrigan doesn't transform into a vampire bat, but rather a fruit bat instead? Talk about bananas!
- Mecha Morph
- Useable by Mecha Tassadar.
- Backstory: Mecha Tassadar, mechamorphanize!
- Rocket Jump Jets
- Useable by Maraudin'.
- Backstory: Most Marauders believe Reapers are insane to let someone strap twin rocket thrusters to their backs. I mean, they're right... but that's beside the point.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Mounts are a feature of World of Warcraft. Mounts taken from the game include horses and wolves.
- The Cyber Wolves bear resemblance to the predators of the StarCraft setting, albeit being canine instead of feline.
- The Rainbow Unicorns harken to the unicorns found in the secret Whimsyshire level of the Diablo series.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
See also[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- Mike Fahey. 2011-10-24. The Queen of Blades is No Match for the New and Improved Blizzard DOTA. Kotaku. Accessed 2012-05-13.
- 2016-08-09, Heroes of the Storm Patch Notes — August 9, 2016. Battle.net. Accessed 2016-09-15.
- 2015-08-17, Play Diablo III and Reap the Benefits in the Nexus