|Title||The Skeleton King|
|Release Date||July 21, 2015|
|Stats per level|
Leoric, the Skeleton King, is a melee warrior hero from the Diablo universe. Madness. Betrayal. Death. These are the legacy of the Black King Leoric's reign. Driven to madness by the spirit of Diablo, Leoric brought untold suffering on his kingdom. Even after his death there was no release for the Skeleton King.
Leoric is a slow moving front-line warrior that never truly dies, haunting the battlefield as a ghost before reforming on the field.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to Diablo universe.
At the behest of the Zakarum church, Leoric traveled from Kehjistan to Khanduras and declared himself king. Acting on counsel from his trusted advisor, Archbishop Lazarus, Leoric established his seat of power in the town of Tristram. He eventually won the hearts and minds of his subjects, and ruled as a wise and just king for many years.
Lazarus convinced Leoric to settle in Tristram because he knew Diablo was imprisoned beneath Tristram's cathedral - and after Lazarus released Diablo, the demon tried to possess Leoric. Weakened due to his long imprisonment, Diablo only succeeded in driving Leoric mad. The king grew irrational and paranoid, and declared war against the neighboring kingdom of Westmarch. Lazarus brought the king's youngest son, Albrecht, into the labyrinth so Diablo could use him as a host instead. The loss of his son made Leoric's madness worse, and he began torturing and executing innocent citizens.
Lachdanan, the captain of Leoric's knights, returned from the war in Westmarch with only a few ragged survivors. Finding the kingdom in disarray and its people gripped by terror, Lachdanan confronted Leoric and was ultimately forced to kill him. Lachdanan and his men buried their king in the tombs beneath the cathedral, but Diablo raised Leoric from the dead as the Skeleton King.
Albrecht's older brother, Aidan, eventually vanquished the monster their father had become. Twenty-two years later, the Fallen Star that struck Tristram's cathedral reawakened Leoric's spirit. At Deckard Cain's behest, the Nephalem retrieved Leoric's old crown and used it to bind his spirit to his skeletal remains, allowing them to confront and defeat him.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Skeleton King
- Backstory: Leoric held the Winterskorn Chieftain's skull aloft for the gathering crowd to see. "Who else among you wishes to challenge me?" The silence was deafening.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of other franchises merging into Warcraft skins.
- Space Lord
- Backstory: The Space Lord has brought countless worlds under the Eternal Empire's thrall. Soon, even Earth's troublesome Star Princess will fall to the power of the darkness.
- Price: $14.99 / 14.99€
- Skin Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities, custom portrait. All of the Space Lord's abilities have holographic/technological animations and sound effects. He generates red, purple, or green energy depending on the tint used.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Eternal Empire skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Leoric first appeared in Diablo (1996). His Heroes of the Storm design reflects his appearance in Diablo III (2012).
- Leoric is voiced by Chris Metzen in Diablo, and Joe Thomas in Diablo III and Heroes of the Storm.
- Leoric was under consideration for inclusion as early as 2011. The idea of having a character that didn't die was one the team looked at - Malthael was considered, but they ultimately settled on Leoric.
- In the closing seconds of the Feature Trailer from BlizzCon 2014, Leoric can be seen throwing his crown into the air, catching it, then placing it back on his head.
- Leoric was added to the game on July 21, 2015, as part of the Eternal Conflict event.
- The second and third tints of Leoric's default palatte give his armor and his hammer a red and gold tint, with his cape being green on the third tint; both tints giving his mane a pale gold and brown color.
- Space Lord Leoric is based on the Sith Lords of the Star Wars franchise.
- The second tint of Leoric's vrykul skin represents the frost vrykul subrace, while the third tint represents the kvaldir.
- Some of Leoric's quotes reference the running joke about Darkness.
- One of Leoric's gag quotes references the famous song Dem Bones.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Leoric at BlizzCon 2013.
Leoric recruits some Fallen mercenaries.
Leoric fights over a tribute.
Leoric fights over a watchtower.
Leoric in the Eternal Conflict.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2015-06-17, E3 PC Gaming Show – Heroes Recap
- HeroesNexus: Leoric
- 2015-12-15, HeroesNexus: Heroes Patch 39595, Datamined Changes
- Space Lord Leoric - Skin Preview
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- E3 Expo 2015 – Heroes of the Storm: Eternal Conflict Expansion
- 2014-08-11, BlizzCon 2014 Recap
- 2013-11-09, Heroes Skin Showcase - Heroes of the Storm - Blizzcon 2013. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-01
[edit | edit source]
- Leoric Hero Week
- Leoric - Heroes of the Storm
- Leoric - Diablo Wiki
- Leoric Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Leoric Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Leoric Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm