|Title||Queen of Blades|
|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Sarah Kerrigan, the Queen of Blades, is a melee assassin hero from the StarCraft universe. Once a terran ghost with formidable psionic abilities, Sarah Kerrigan was betrayed by her allies and transformed by the zerg into the Queen of Blades. Now freed of the dark one's corruption, Kerrigan faces a threat that could destroy the galaxy itself.
Kerrigan is an aggressive Hero that gains temporary Shields by attacking enemies and using her Abilities. Able to stun enemies and pull them towards her.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
Sarah Louise Kerrigan discovered the strength of her latent psionic gift as a young girl. An innocent flash of childish anger at her parents resulted in massive cerebral hemorrhaging and a horrific death for her mother. Her father would only repeat one thing over and over again in the ensuing years: “I saw her head come apart.” This gruesome event alerted the Terran Confederacy to her powers, and she quickly became the focus of the fledgling ghost program. Because she had reached unheard-of scores on psi-evaluation tests, her abilities elicited a complete readjustment of the scoring system so that she could be properly measured. The remnants of her humanity were stripped from her, and Kerrigan was designated Ghost Number 24601.
Following her emergence from the ghost program, she became an unstoppable assassin for the corrupt Confederate government. It was her assassination of the independent senator Angus Mengsk that brought her to the attention of his ambitious son, Arcturus. At first wishing to extract revenge from Kerrigan for his father’s murder, Arcturus soon realized that she was much more useful as a weapon against the Confederacy. After rescuing her from a clandestine experimental facility, he removed her neural inhibitor and used her restored memories to build righteous anger against the government that had abused her. Kerrigan and Mengsk became allies.
She was running a mission on Antiga Prime when she first came across one-time Confederate marshal Jim Raynor, a new recruit to the Sons of Korhal. He disapproved of her lethal dealings with the Confederacy, but the conflict between the two soon grew into mutual respect, admiration, and even... something more. Kerrigan and Raynor ran several secret missions together before Mengsk’s revolutionary movement brought them to Tarsonis. Even Kerrigan’s jaded sensibilities were shocked when she learned what Arcturus had planned for the Confederate capital world: the placement of psi emitters to lure the zerg to one of the most densely populated planets in the sector. It would result in the death of almost every living thing on Tarsonis. Voicing her opposition, she nonetheless set about loyally fulfilling her mission to protect the hive clusters from a mysterious new alien enemy, the protoss. Mengsk would take advantage of that loyalty, abandoning her to die on Tarsonis when the mission was complete. He couldn’t run the risk of having a powerful weapon like Kerrigan running loose in the shadow of his new government, and he couldn’t resist the chance to claim some vengeance long overdue.
Little did Arcturus Mengsk suspect that he had just succeeded in arming the zerg against him. The zerg Overmind sensed Kerrigan’s formidable psionic powers and desired to adapt this new weapon for the Swarm. Bringing all of the evolutionary strength of its genetic skill to bear upon the one-time ghost, the Overmind transformed Sarah Kerrigan into an unstoppable combination of psychic ability and biological deadliness: the Queen of Blades was born.
Not wanting to hamper Kerrigan’s intellectual and strategic brilliance, the Overmind left her a degree of individual will that differed from its cerebrates. It was this freedom that allowed her ambitions to rise, and before long, the Queen of Blades conquered her cerebrate kin and took charge of the Swarm when the Overmind was slain.
Now Kerrigan moves the zerg toward an unknown future. Ancient prophecies foretold her coming. The sense and meaning behind these prophecies are vague, but make no mistake: countless billions of lives are bound to the destiny of Sarah Kerrigan.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Activate to poison an enemy Hero, dealing 352 damage over 10 seconds.
Activate to increase your Movement Speed by 30% for 4 seconds. Queen's Rush is also applied for free on Takedowns.
Activate to deal 10% of target enemy Hero's Max Health and gain Assimilation Shields for twice that amount.
Activate to increase Ability Power by 25% and Mana costs by 40% for 5 seconds.
Activate to teleport to a nearby location.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Queen of Blades
- Backstory: Countess Sarah von Kerrigan's bloodthirst knew no bounds. It was only a matter of time before the Vampire Slayers of Raven Court rose up against her reign of terror.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Themed mount, themed abilities. The skin's Impaling Blades resemble iron stakes, and she gains access to Bat Transformation.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Raven Court skins.
- Queen of Ghosts
- Backstory: Fully cleansed by the Xel'Naga Artifact, Kerrigan joined forces with Jim Raynor and Prince Valerian. Armed with the latest Umojan tech, they prepare to bring Arcturus to justice once and for all.
- Price: $14.99 / 13.99€.
- Legendary Skin Features: Themed abilities, replaced voice-over. Impaling Blades and Primal Grasp are technological in nature. Summoned Ultralisks are robotic. Maelstrom's area of effect indicator is different. All abilities are colored based on the tint chosen.
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Countess Kerrigan has access to "Bat Transformation", a unique mount that makes her look like a small bat.
- Backstory: It's Heroes of the Storm Trivia Time™! Did you know that the Countess Kerrigan doesn't transform into a vampire bat, but rather a fruit bat instead? Talk about bananas!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Kerrigan first appeared in StarCraft (1998).
- Kerrigan is voiced by Glynnis Talken Campbell in StarCraft and StarCraft: Brood War.
- Kerrigan is voiced by Tricia Helfer in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, and Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void.
- Kerrigan was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- Kerrigan's ghost form was under consideration to be a separate hero in the game. However, it has since been made an optional tint for Nova.
- Kerrigan's line "Hell hath no fury like a woman swarmed." is derived from a line in William Congreve's play The Mourning Bride.
- Kerrigan's gag quote "Phenomenal psionic powers...icky, sticky living space" is based on a line in the Disney movie Aladdin.
- Kerrigan's line "You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile." is derived from the TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- Kerrigan's gag quote "I'm a Killer Queen. Guaranteed to blow your mind." is a reference to the Queen song, Killer Queen.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Kerrigan and her allies defeat Arthas and steal his treasure.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-11, Heroes of the Storm: The Tactics and Teamwork Behind Blizzard's Brawler. IGN, accessed on 2013-11-19
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2013-11-09, Heroes Skin Showcase - Heroes of the Storm - Blizzcon 2013. YouTube, accessed on 2013-11-19
[edit | edit source]
- Developer Insights: The Heart of a Queen
- Kerrigan Hero Week
- Kerrigan - Heroes of the Storm
- Kerrigan - StarCraft II
- Sarah Kerrigan - StarCraft Wiki
- Kerrigan Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Kerrigan Quotations
- Kerrigan Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Kerrigan Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm