Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm is a Blizzard Entertainment "hero brawler" game, initially inspired by the Defense of the Ancients custom map for Warcraft III. The game features heroes from across the Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo franchises, as well as older Blizzard games, who are seized by an unknown force and brought together in a mysterious location known as the Nexus to do battle.
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Heroes of the Storm has a number of features which set it apart from other DOTA-style games:
- Experience is shared between all players on a team, so there is no benefit to last-hitting.
- There are no purchasable items, although characters can be customized by learning talents as they level up.
- All skills are unlocked at the beginning of a match, save for ultimate abilities, which are learned at level 10.
- Games are intended to last for about 20 minutes each, and each map has unique objectives.
Heroes[edit | edit source]
Heroes that have been released since June 30, 2015 include:
- Diablo: Auriel, Azmodan, Diablo, Johanna, Kharazim, Leoric, Li-Ming, Nazeebo, Sonya, The Butcher, Tyrael, Valla, and Xul
- StarCraft: Abathur, Alarak, Artanis, Dehaka, Kerrigan, Lt. Morales, Nova, Probius, Raynor, Sgt. Hammer, Tassadar, Tychus, Zagara, and Zeratul
- Warcraft: Anub'arak, Arthas, Brightwing, Chen, Cho'gall, Chromie, E.T.C., Falstad, Gazlowe, Greymane, Gul'dan, Illidan, Jaina, Kael'thas, Li Li, Lunara, Malfurion, Medivh, Muradin, Murky, Ragnaros, Rehgar, Rexxar, Samuro, Stitches, Sylvanas, Thrall, Tyrande, Uther, Valeera, Varian, and Zul'jin
- Overwatch: Lúcio, Tracer and Zarya
- The Lost Vikings: The Lost Vikings
Characters that have been seen in artwork, trailers, or other previews include:
Other characters Blizzard was considering include Aggra, Aidan, Amazon, Azshara, Belial, Blackthorne, Brann, Cain, Cenarius, Cydaea, Dagg'um Ty'gor, Deathwing, Dr. Boom, Druid, Fenix, Firebat, Gallywix, Garrosh, Ghom, Grom, Harth, Hogger, Hybrid Zerg, Imperius, Kel'Thuzad, Kil'jaeden, Kronan, Leah, Maiev, Malthael, Mengsk, Moira, Overmind, Paladin, Sapper, SCV, Selendis, Snake, Sorceress, Stukov, Tosh, Valerian, Varimathras, Vashj, Velen, Vol'jin, Warfield and Zurvan.
Future development[edit | edit source]
- While the Nexus mainly selects characters from the three major Blizzard franchises, the future will see the Nexus drawing in characters from lesser-known franchises, or even from "Nexus realms" entirely outside of Blizzard's existing repertoire.
- Team 1 plan to release a patch for the game every 1-2 months, as well as introducing new heroes and battlegrounds at fairly regular intervals.
Trailers[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- The original name - Blizzard DOTA - was at the heart of a legal battle between Valve, who wanted to trademark "DOTA" for their own use, and Blizzard, who wanted to prevent the trademark so that it could be freely used by the gaming community. Ultimately, they decided that DOTA could be freely used non-commercially, while Valve retained exclusive rights to its commercial usage. As a result, Blizzard DOTA was renamed Blizzard All-Stars. Rob Pardo commented that the new title "ultimately better reflects the design of our game." On October 17, 2013, the game was renamed yet again to Heroes of the Storm.
- Blizzard does not use the terms "ARTS" or "MOBA", feeling that the game is more accurately described as a "hero brawler".
References[edit | edit source]
- GameSpot: Blizzard explains why it doesn't call Heroes of the Storm a MOBA
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- Unique Hero Kill Voiceovers, accessed on 2014-03-09
- Heroes of the Storm Pax East 2014 Panel, New Characters, Character Creation Q & A Full Conference, accessed on 2014-07-13
- HotS datamine: unannounced heroes (ru), accessed on 2014-10-22
- 2014-08-20, Heroes of the Storm Interview with Kaeo Milker. Icy Veins, retrieved on 2014-08-23
- Valve and Blizzard settle over use of DOTA
- Battle.Net: Heroes of the Storm
[edit | edit source]