|Title||Lord of Terror|
|Stats per level|
Diablo, the Lord of Terror, is a melee warrior hero from the Diablo universe. Known in the ancient tongue as Al'Diabolos, the Prime Evil of Terror, the Demon Lord Diablo seeks to claim the world of Sanctuary for the Burning Hells. His victims are innumerable, his schemes unknowable, and his gender... malleable.
Diablo is an aggressive Ability driven Hero that charges his enemies and uses fire and lightning to burn them down. Gathers the souls of fallen enemies to use for resurrection.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to Diablo universe.
Everyone knows the name of fear and it is Diablo, Lord of Terror.
Diablo, like his brothers Mephisto and Baal, was born from one of the seven heads of the great dragon Tathamet at the beginning of time. He is the youngest of the three Prime Evils that rule over the Burning Hells but he is also the most cunning and farsighted of the Primes. Diablo relishes in the terror he inflicts upon his victims and knows that the key to victory is preying upon the fears of those who stand in his way. Unlike his kin, however, Diablo doesn't conquest for the sake of power; he draws his satisfaction from the terror that runs rampant before the onslaught. Even his own realm within the Burning Hells is a testament to horror, as few would dare go into the Realm of Terror, where even demons are afraid to venture.
The story we know of Diablo starts a few hundred years ago when he was banished to the Mortal Realm of Sanctuary during the coup d'etat in Hell that would later be known as the Dark Exile. Diablo and his brothers immediately set about spreading terror, hatred and destruction across the lands of men until a group of mages known as the Horadrim managed to defeat them and lock their souls within sacred relics known as the Soulstones.
Diablo's Soulstone was locked away and forgotten for almost three hundred years under the town of Tristram, but during this time he sought ways to free himself from his prison. Eventually a new ruler named Leoric would make Tristram his capital and put his throne over the very ground where Diablo was buried. Leroic's advisor, Archbishop Lazarus, was actually an emissary sent by Diablo’s brother Mephisto who had escaped his own Soulstone some time before. Lazarus freed Diablo and helped him try to possess King Leoric, but Diablo was too weak from his imprisonment to fully possess Leoric and instead drove the poor king insane. Lazarus' next victim was Leoric's youngest son Albrecht, who proved to be the perfect vessel for the return of the Lord of Terror.
Leoric's last remaining son, Aidan, would soon hear of his father's madness and his brother's disappearance and set off to defeat the evil growing in Tristram. Aidan was eventually able to defeat Diablo, but his victory would be short lived as he was tricked into jamming Diablo's Soulstone into his forehead and allowing the demon lord to possess him. Aidan was able to contain Diablo's essence at first, but was slowly losing a battle he could never win.
A witch and servant of Diablo named Adria was residing in Tristram during these dark times and sensed her master within the body of Aidan as he returned from defeating the demon lord. At Diablo’s behest, she seduced Aidan so that she may bear a child that contained the essence of her master.
Aidan soon faltered against Diablo's influence and would head east so that he may unite with his brothers in an attempt to conquer the Mortal Realm with the power of the Soulstones now under their control. Diablo's plans would soon be foiled by a band of heroes from all across Sanctuary... or so it would seem.
Twenty years after his defeat by the mortal heroes, Adria would return and use her child, Leah, to revive Diablo yet again, and he would now be infused with the power of all of the seven great demon lords of the Burning Hells. Diablo, now reborn as the Prime Evil, almost succeeded in his goal of conquering all of Creation if not for the intervention of another mortal hero, the Nephalem.
But is Diablo truly dead? How does one kill Terror when all living things keep Fear within their hearts?
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Lord of Terror
- Backstory: Bringing a whole new meaning to "Holy Terror."
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Epic Skin Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities. The flames created by Fire Stomp and the Fire Devil talent are blue, as are the effects of Apocalypse and Lightning Breath.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of alternative history skins.
- Backstory: The scientists of Tristram Labs had grown overconfident. They believed the power of the atom was finally under their control. They were wrong.
- Price: $4.99 / 3.99€
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Kaijo world skins.
- Backstory: It is with hushed whispers the fishermen of Stormwind speak of the Lord of the Depths. His very name an eternal curse upon any angler foolish enough to speak it aloud: Lurkablo.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Epic Skin Features: Replaced voice-over.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of other franchises merging into Warcraft skins.
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Although Diablo is capable of using all mounts, he also has access to "Terror Charge", which allows him to move at mounted speed by running on all fours.
- Backstory: See Diablo. See Diablo run. Wait... since when can Diablo run? Run from Diablo! Run!!!
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Diablo first appeared in Diablo (1996). His Heroes of the Storm design reflects his appearance in Diablo II (2000).
- Diablo was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- In a 2011 build of the game, Diablo was considered as a boss for the now canceled Tristram map.
- Chris Sigaty likes to joke that Murkablo is the offspring of Diablo and a murloc.
- One of Diablo's gag quotes is "good children look both ways before crossing the street" played backwards.
- Diablo is the largest warrior hero in the game.
Balance Changelog[edit | edit source]
- May 17, 2016 (18.0)
-Battle Momentum (7) changed to Diabolical Momentum (7). >Basic Attacks now reduce Basic Ability cooldowns by 0.75 seconds instead of 0.5. >No longer reduces Heroic Ability cooldowns.
- February 10th, 2016 (16.1.4)
-Fire Stomp (W) >Fire Devil (4) Damage reduced from 23 (+4% per level) to 17 (+4% per level)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Archangel Diablo in the Eternal Conflict.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-08, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – Fact Sheet. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-11-10
- 2013-11-11, Heroes of the Storm: Sixen Interviews Dustin Browder. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2013-11-10, Blizzcon 2013: Heroes of the Storm - Overview. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-09
[edit | edit source]
- Diablo - Heroes of the Storm
- Diablo - Diablo Wiki
- Diablo Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Diablo Quotations
- Diablo Quotes on YouTube