|Release Date||April 15, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Brightwing, the Faerie Dragon, is a ranged support hero from the Warcraft universe. The Faerie Dragons of Ashenvale are known for their playful demeanor, seemingly disappearing at a whim. The mischevious Brightwing is no exception, often materializing out of nowhere to save her allies or just to mock her foes by some sort of faerie trickery.
Brightwing is a strategic support that can quickly teleport to allies, and Polymorphs enemies.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
|Brightwing, Faerie Dragon|
|Like many Faerie Dragons, Brightwing is happiest darting around the forests of Ashenvale, healing friends, and then grabbing a light snack. By the way, did you know a human head only weighs ten pounds? Talk about light!|
625 / 7,000
|The fey magic from which Brightwing draws her power is wild and chaotic. Her very form reflects its unstable nature, ever shifting, like an image from a dream.|
|Just like the flawless butterfly from which she takes her name, Monarch Brightwing has many ways to sting. Kneel peasant! For you face the Monarch! And her wrath is cruel...|
|The magical flying creatures of Sky Temple often cause trouble for the locals. It can be hard to run a successful bazaar when your merchandise disappears into thin air.|
| Skin Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities. Flying Monkey Brightwing makes monkey noises instead of speaking. She throws bananas when using Arcane Flare, and her Polymorph ability turns enemies into toy monkeys.|
Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Luxoria skins.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Brightwing represents the faerie dragon unit from Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003).
- The Developers knew from the beginning that they wanted Brightwing to be about mitigating damage rather than traditional healing. When they examined the Warcraft 3 Faerie Dragon, they decided to focus on the fantasy of whimsical powers and pixie dust. The abilities ”Polymorph” and “Pixie Dust” quickly became two staples to build the rest of her kit around. To really push the envelope, they debated and experimented with some complicated mechanics like mana burn and giving her the ability to fly to allies, but eventually had to tone it back because the extra mechanics got really complicated. They knew they had something special when we designed the Phase Shift ability as a replacement for a traditional mount power. The goal was to create an omnipresent hero similar to Abathur, but unlike Abathur, Brightwing has a stronger tactical presence. The Developers wanted Phase Shift to require an ally to play off of and support her trait's design. The trait is purposely designed to be simple, which allows Brightwing players to scan the battlefield constantly. They also wanted to give Phase Shift global range so that there were more opportunities to cast it and to play up soft split pushing strategies.
- After being introduced in Heroes of the Storm, Brightwing went on to appear in World of Warcraft: Legion (2016).
- Brightwing was one of the four heroes revealed at PAX East 2014.
- The Monarch blurb is a reference to the Venture Bros., whose arch nemesis the Monarch insists the butterfly of the same name has a deadly sting.
- Brightwing has an older brother who affirms that she was, in fact, adopted.
- Brightwing has a twin brother named Darkwing who she believes is not very nice.
- One of Brightwing's gag quotes refers to the constant flapping of her wings.
- There is a Brightwing's model update that was shelved after the backlash due to murky's model update. Both Murky and Brightwing were built in ways that made them difficult to alter, and the art team wanted to address the issue by fixing these problems internally before release. Their schedule didn't permit them to complete the updates before going live. The visual differences are primarily intended to bridge the gap between the current in-game Brightwing and Samwise's concept and improve Brightwing's presence from game-view.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-09, Heroes Skin Showcase - Heroes of the Storm - Blizzcon 2013. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2014-03-18, Hero Interaction Strings - Introduction Questions, accessed on 2014-03-18
- Developer Insights: Look on the bright side...or wing
- 2014-04-11, Heroes of the Storm PAX Feature Trailer. YouTube, accessed on 2014-04-11
- Enchanted Fey Dragon
- Unused Art: Brightwing ver.2
[edit | edit source]
- Developer Insights: Look on The Bright Side…Or Wing
- Brightwing Hero Week
- Brightwing - Heroes of the Storm
- Brightwing - Wowpedia
- Brightwing Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Brightwing Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Brightwing Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm