|Title||The Lich King|
|Stats per level|
Arthas Menethil, the Lord of the Scourge, is a warrior hero from the Warcraft franchise. Once the crown prince of Lordaeron, and protege of Uther the Lightbringer, Prince Arthas was corrupted by the cursed blade Frostmourne in a desperate bid to save his people. Now he rules over the damned as the Lich King and all shall know his wrath.
Arthas engages with his enemies directly, freezing and slowing them, and uses the power of Frostmourne to empower his attacks. He is a slow moving hero, capable of dealing and withstanding massive amounts of damage.
This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Arthas Menethil was the son of Terenas Menethil II, King of Lordaeron and was the Prince of Lordaeron and Knight of the Silver Hand led by Uther the Lightbringer. He was trained as a paladin by Uther. Even though he was a promising knight, he went down a path of vengeance.
Stratholme was one of the first cities to be struck by the Plague. Upon discovering this, Arthas ordered Uther and a Kirin Tor mage by the name of Jaina Proudmoore to help him purge the city to prevent the plague from spreading further. Uther and Jaina did not follow his demands so he went on to purge the city himself which is where his downfall began. After the Culling of Stratholme, he encountered a dreadlord by the name of Mal'Ganis. Mal’Ganis and Arthas fought briefly. Then after the fight, Mal'Ganis told him to go to the frozen wastes of Northrend where he should fulfill his destiny.
Arthas then gathered an army and set sail for Northrend. While on Northrend, he went on a search for the ancient runeblade Frostmourne; as he heard it contained the power to slay Mal'Ganis. Accompanied by an old friend Muradin Bronzebeard he found the sword. Despite Muradin's warning, he took the sword which caused Muradin to go out cold, then his downfall was coming to a climax.
He searched for and found Mal’Ganis who told him that the voice he was hearing was the Lich King, but Arthas replied saying that the voice was instructing him to destroy Mal'Ganis. Mal'Ganis was very surprised and ultimately destroyed by Arthas. After the fight, he abandoned his men and wandered the frozen wastes losing every last bit of his sanity. Once Arthas returned to the Eastern Kingdoms, he killed his father King Terenas Menethil II and everyone in Lordaeron; raising them after death to add to his undead army.
With his new army, he marched through Quel'thalas where he encountered Sylvanas Windrunner. He killed her and raised her as a banshee while also destroying the blood elf capital city Silvermoon. After the destruction he caused in Azeroth he made his way to the Frozen Throne in Icecrown where he had a confrontation with Illidan Stormrage. Once Illidan was defeated, he climbed the Frozen Throne where he put on Ner'Zhul's helmet to fuse their souls, thus becoming the Lich King.
Periodically reduces the damage received from Hero Basic Attacks by 50%. Stores up to 2 charges.
Howling Blast cooldown lowered by 2 seconds.
Frozen Tempest radius increased by 33%.
Every 3 Regeneration Globes gathered grants an extra +4 Health per second, permanently.
Reduce damage taken from non-Heroic enemies by 50%.
Mana restored by Frostmourne Hungers increased to 60.
Damage boost of Frostmourne Hungers increased to 150% damage.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Activate to poison an enemy Hero, dealing 210 damage over 6 seconds.
Every 3rd Basic Attack heals you for 3.9% of your max Health.
Frostmourne Hungers also hits enemies near the target for 50% damage.
Frostmourne Hunger also slows the target by 40% for 1.5 seconds.
Death Coil causes enemy Minions to explode, killing the target instantly and dealing its normal damage to other nearby enemies.
Cooldown: 90 seconds
Summons Ghouls that last 15 seconds. Sacrifice Ghouls to heal for 150 Health.
Cooldown: 90 seconds
Deals 150 damage, slows enemy Heroes, and freezes Minions for 10 seconds and Structures for 20 seconds.
Upon taking Ability Damage, reduce all Ability Damage taken by 50% for 2 seconds. Can only trigger once every 30 seconds.
Reduces the duration of silences, stuns, slows, roots, and polymorphs against your Hero by 50%.
Howling Blast impacts enemies while traveling.
Frozen Tempest damage and cost increased by 50%.
Increased application to your next 2 Basic Attacks.
Death Coil also heals when used on enemies. When used on self, the amount healed is increased by 50%.
Death Coil deals 20% more damage for each 10% of life you are missing.
Cooldown: 60 seconds
Activate to gain 30% of your Max Health as Shields for 5 seconds.
Upon dying, revive back at your Altar after 5 seconds. This can occur once every 120 seconds.
Basic Attacks bounce twice to nearby enemies for 50% damage.
3 additional Ghouls are created. Ghouls last 50% longer.
Sindragosa flies twice as far. Enemy Heroes are rooted for 1.5 seconds, and then slowed by 60% for 1.5 seconds.
- Once the crown prince of Lordaeron, and protege of Uther the Lightbringer, Prince Arthas was corrupted by the cursed blade Frostmourne in a desperate bid to save his people. Now he rules over the damned as the Lich King and all shall know his wrath.
- As Frostmourne devoured more and more souls, the Lich King's dominion over the damned grew ever stronger. It wasn't long before his armor began to manifest changes.
- As his hands gripped the hilt of the cursed blade Frostmourne, a dimensional gateway erupted from the icy pedestal dragging the young prince Arthas into the Nexus.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- After the death of the Ashen Verdict's champions none could halt the Lich King's advance. As an eternal reminder of his victory he grafted the bones of his fallen allies onto his armor.
- Price: $7.49 / 6.49€
- As the victorious Arthas ascended the Frozen Throne the Lich King's voice echoed through his mind... Without warning, the words pulled away as he found himself in the heart of the Nexus.
- Price: N/A (no longer available)
- Arthas was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- Uniquely, his art was designed first, and his role in the game came later.
- StarCraft. 2011-10-20. Blizzard DOTA Trailer. Youtube. Accessed 2011-10-22.
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07