|Title||The Lich King|
|Stats per level|
Arthas Menethil, The Lich King, is a melee warrior hero from the Blizzard Entertainment Warcraft franchise. Once the crown prince of Lordaeron, and protege of Uther the Lightbringer, Prince Arthas was corrupted by the cursed blade Frostmourne in a desperate bid to save his people. Now he rules over the damned as the Lich King and all shall know his wrath.
Arthas engages with his enemies directly, freezing and slowing them. Uses the power of Frostmourne to empower his attacks.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Arthas Menethil was the son of King Terenas Menethil II, Prince of Lordaeron, and a Knight of the Order of the Silver Hand led by Uther the Lightbringer. He was trained as a paladin by Uther. Even though he was a promising knight, Arthas soon spiraled down a path of vengeance.
Arthas' downfall began at Stratholme, one of the first cities to be struck by the Plague. Upon discovering that the grain stores in the city had been infected by the Plague, Arthas ordered Uther and a Kirin Tor mage by the name of Jaina Proudmoore to help him purge the city in order to prevent the Plague from spreading further. Uther and Jaina refused to follow his demands however, and Arthas went on to purge the city himself. During the Culling of Stratholme, he encountered and fought a dreadlord by the name of Mal'Ganis. Before Mal'Ganis fled, he told Arthas that he should find him in the frozen wastes of Northrend, where he will fulfill his ultimate destiny.
Arthas, enraged at the dreadlord for turning his people into the undead, soon gathered an army and set sail for Northrend. After arriving on the frozen continent, he encountered an old friend by the name of Muradin Bronzebeard. Telling him tales of an ancient and powerful runeblade called Frostmourne with the potential to slay Mal'Ganis, the two friends set out to find the blade. Upon finding Frostmourne, however, Muradin revealed that it was cursed, and they should leave it be. Arthas, willing to pay any price to save his people, did not head Muradin's warning, and reached out to take the blade, seemingly killing his old friend in the process.
Arthas, Frostmourne now in hand, set out to find Mal'Ganis. With an army at his back, he savagely fought through hordes of undead before reaching the dreadlord. Mal'Ganis, pleased with the corruption of the Prince, revealed to Arthas that the whispers he was hearing from Frostmourne were in fact actually the voice of the Lich King, and asked him what the Lich King's next instructions were. Arthas replied that the voice was telling him only to enact his vengeance and destroy Mal'Ganis. Striking the astonished dreadlord down, Arthas abandoned his men and fled the battle, wandering through the frozen wastes and slowly lost what remained of his sanity to the Lich King. After months, Arthas returned to Lordaeron, where he killed his father in cold blood and conquered the kingdom in the name of the Scourge.
Some time later, following the destruction he had wrought on the continent, the Lich King ordered Arthas to return to Northrend. Illidan Stormrage, instructed by the Burning Legion to destroy the Lich King, raced Arthas to the seat of power of the immobile Lich King in Icecrown. Ultimately, the two fought at the footsteps of the Frozen Throne, and Arthas emerged victorious. After climbing the spire to the top of the Throne, Arthas placed the helmet of the Lich King on his head, fusing his soul to that of Ner'zhul's, and the two became one single being.
Skills[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Lich King
- Crown Prince
- Backstory: As his hands gripped the hilt of the cursed blade Frostmourne, a dimensional gateway erupted from the icy pedestal, dragging the young prince Arthas into the Nexus.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Epic Skin Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities. His Death Coil looks like a lion's head, and the ghouls in his Army of the Dead wear footman armor.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of character's pre-change skins.
- Frost Wyrm
Removed skins[edit | edit source]
- Death Knight
- Backstory: As the victorious Arthas ascended the Frozen Throne the Lich King's voice echoed through his mind... Without warning, the words pulled away as he found himself in the heart of the Nexus.
- Price: N/A (no longer available)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Arthas was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- His art was designed first and his role in the game came later.
- Crown Prince Arthas is voiced by Patrick Seitz. Lich King Arthas, Master Arthas, and Frost Wyrm Arthas are voiced by Michael McConnohie.
- Blizzard considered giving Crown Prince Arthas a hammer, but that would have required additional animation work, in addition to conflicting with Uther and creating confusion. They also considered making paladin Arthas a skin for Uther, rather than Arthas, but that would have opened another can of worms. Ultimately, they decided to depict paladin Arthas immediately after he picked up Frostmourne. That meant his animations could stay the same, and since he still had his sword he was still recognizable as Arthas.
- Muradin, Rehgar, Stitches, Chen, Anub'arak, Jaina, Sylvanas, Kael'thas, The Butcher, and Rexxar all kill or otherwise defeat Arthas in their hero trailers.
- NECA revealed the Heroes of the Storm Arthas action figure at SDCC 2015.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
King Arthas with King Leoric.
Prince Arthas, with Light's Vengeance.
Prince Arthas, with Frostmourne.
The Arthas action figure.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- StarCraft. 2011-10-20. Blizzard DOTA Trailer. YouTube. Accessed 2011-10-22.
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2015-06-12, IGN: How Blizzard's Heroes Went From Concepts to Icons
- Heroes of the Storm: Hero Trailers YouTube.
- BlizzPlanet: SDCC 2015 NECA Reveals Heroes of the Storm 7″ Scale Action Figures Series 2
[edit | edit source]