|Title||The Lich King|
|Stats per level|
Arthas Menethil, the Lich King, is a melee warrior hero from the Warcraft universe. Once the crown prince of Lordaeron, and protégé of Uther the Lightbringer, Arthas was corrupted by the cursed blade Frostmourne in a desperate bid to save his people. Now he rules over the damned as the Lich King and all shall know his wrath.
Arthas engages with his enemies directly, freezing and slowing them. He uses the power of Frostmourne to empower his attacks.
History[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
Arthas Menethil, the crown prince of Lordaeron, was the son of King Terenas Menethil II. He joined the Order of the Silver Hand led by Uther the Lightbringer, and was trained as a paladin. Arthas was a promising knight, though he eventually spiraled down a path of vengeance.
Arthas's downfall began at Stratholme, one of the first cities to be struck by the plague. Upon discovering that the grain stores in the city had been infected by the plague, Arthas ordered Uther and a Kirin Tor mage named Jaina Proudmoore to help him purge the city in order to prevent the plague from spreading further. Uther and Jaina refused to follow his demands, however, and Arthas went on to purge the city himself. In Stratholme, Arthas encountered and fought a dreadlord by the name of Mal'Ganis. Before Mal'Ganis fled, he told Arthas to meet him in the arctic land of Northrend.
Arthas gathered an army and set sail for Northrend. Upon his arrival, he encountered an old friend by the name of Muradin Bronzebeard. After Muradin told Arthas of an ancient and powerful runeblade called Frostmourne, which had the potential to slay Mal'Ganis, the two friends set out to look for the weapon. Upon finding Frostmourne, however, Muradin realized it was cursed and said they should leave it be. Arthas, willing to pay any price to save his people, did not head Muradin's warning. He reached out to take the blade, seemingly killing his old friend in the process.
With Frostmourne in hand, Arthas set out to find Mal'Ganis. He fought through hordes of undead before reaching the dreadlord. Mal'Ganis revealed to Arthas that the whispers he was hearing from Frostmourne were actually the voice of the Lich King, and asked him what the Lich King's next instructions were. Arthas replied that the voice was telling him to enact his vengeance. Striking the astonished dreadlord down, Arthas abandoned his men and began wandering through the frozen wastes, where he lost what remained of his sanity. When Arthas returned to Lordaeron, he killed his father in cold blood and conquered the kingdom in the name of the Scourge.
Some time later, following the destruction he had wrought on the continent, the Lich King ordered Arthas to return to Northrend. Illidan Stormrage, who had been instructed by the Burning Legion to destroy the Lich King, raced Arthas to the immobile Lich King's seat of power in Icecrown. Ultimately, the two fought and Arthas emerged victorious. Arthas shattered the Frozen Throne and placed the helm of the Lich King upon his head, allowing the two to become one single being.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: Increases the Mana it restores by 4, to a maximum of 40, and its damage by 4.
❢ Reward: After rooting 5 Heroes, Howling Blast's cooldown is reduced by 2 seconds.
❢ Reward: After rooting 10 Heroes, Howling Blast's range is increased by 30%.
❢ Reward: After rooting 20 Heroes, Howling Blast also roots enemies in its path.
❢ Quest: Damage enemy Heroes with Frozen Tempest.
❢ Reward: After damaging enemy Heroes 150 times with Frozen Tempest, the Movement and Attack Speed slows of Frozen Tempest last an extra 1.5 seconds against enemy Heroes.
Activate to increase Movement Speed by 30% for 3 seconds.
Passive: Increases Movement Speed by 10%.
Activate to make Arthas immune to Spell Damage for 3 seconds and heal Arthas for 25% of the damage prevented.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Lich King
- Frost Wyrm
- Crown Prince
- Backstory: As his hands gripped the hilt of the cursed blade Frostmourne, a dimensional gateway erupted from the icy pedestal, dragging the young prince Arthas into the Nexus.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Replaced voice-over, themed abilities. His Death Coil looks like a lion's head, and the ghouls in his Army of the Dead wear footman armor.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of character's pre-change skins.
- Crimson Count
- Backstory: Few of Sarah von Kerrigan's suitors are as bold or brash as Marquis Arthas du Menethíl. The Crimson Count hopes their unholy union will spell doom for Raven Court's vampire slayers.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Themed mount, themed abilities. Death Coil looks like a bat. Frozen Tempest is black and purple and makes bat sounds. Sindragosa is black and red, and his ghouls wear vampire clothes. He gains access to Bat Transformation.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Raven Court skins.
- Mystic Kingdoms
- Backstory: Revered for his bravery and martial skill, General Arthas has led his king's armies to countless victories. His loyalty knows no bounds, and nothing can make him break his oath of service.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. Howling Blast leaves a green line and summons crystals, Summon Sindragosa summons a cloud serpent, and the ghouls in his Army of the Dead wear themed armor.
Removed skins[edit | edit source]
- Death Knight
- Backstory: As the victorious Arthas ascended the Frozen Throne the Lich King's voice echoed through his mind... Without warning, the words pulled away as he found himself in the heart of the Nexus.
- Price: N/A (no longer available)
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Crimson Count Arthas has access to "Bat Transformation", a unique mount that makes him look like a large bat.
- Backstory: Marquis Arthas was never one for intensive study. It is little wonder, then, that his mastery over the power of transformation is somewhat... incomplete. Still, it makes for a fearsome visage.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Arthas first appeared in the novel Warcraft: Of Blood and Honor (2001). His first game appearance was in Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (2002).
- Arthas is voiced by Justin Gross in Warcraft III, and by Patrick Seitz in World of Warcraft and Heroes of the Storm. As the Lich King, he is voiced by Michael McConnohie.
- Arthas was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- Arthas's model was designed first and his role in the game was decided upon later.
- Blizzard considered giving Crown Prince Arthas a hammer, but that would have required additional animation work, in addition to conflicting with Uther and creating confusion. They also considered making paladin Arthas a skin for Uther, rather than Arthas, but that would have opened another can of worms. Ultimately, they decided to depict paladin Arthas immediately after he picked up Frostmourne. That meant his animations could stay the same, and since he still had his sword he was still recognizable as Arthas.
- Muradin, Rehgar, Stitches, Chen, Anub'arak, Jaina, Sylvanas, Kael'thas, The Butcher, Rexxar, and Tracer all kill or otherwise defeat Arthas in their hero trailers.
- NECA revealed the Heroes of the Storm Arthas action figure at SDCC 2015.
- Arthas was 24 in Reign of Chaos, 25 in The Frozen Throne, and 31 in Wrath of the Lich King.
- A 14 foot statue of Arthas can be seen at the Calligraphy Greenway in Taichung, Taiwan.
- Arthas's "hail to the king" quote references a line spoken by Ash Williams in Army of Darkness.
- Arthas's "looking for a few dead men" quote references a 1985 United States Marine Corps commercial.
- Arthas's "my condition has left me cold" quote references a line spoken by Mr. Freeze in Batman & Robin.
- Arthas's "no man can defeat me" quote references a line spoken by the Witch-king of Angmar in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.
- Some of Arthas's quotes reference the running joke about Darkness.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Blizzard DOTA models of Arthas and various other heroes.
King Arthas with King Leoric.
The Arthas action figure.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- StarCraft. 2011-10-20. Blizzard DOTA Trailer. YouTube. Accessed 2011-10-22.
- 2011-10-23, BlizzCon 2011 - StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm and Blizzard DOTA - Art & Technology Panel (Full). YouTube, accessed on 2011-11-07
- 2015-06-12, IGN: How Blizzard's Heroes Went From Concepts to Icons
- Mr. Jack on DeviantArt: The Lich Prince
- Heroes of the Storm: Hero Trailers YouTube.
- BlizzPlanet: SDCC 2015 NECA Reveals Heroes of the Storm 7″ Scale Action Figures Series 2
- A King is Born in Taiwan – Unveiling the Arthas Statue
[edit | edit source]
- Arthas - Heroes of the Storm
- Arthas Menethil - Wowpedia
- Arthas Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Arthas Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Arthas Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm