|Release Date||October 7, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Anub'arak, the Traitor King, is a melee warrior hero from the Warcraft universe. Once a proud nerubian king, he dared to stand against the Lich King's invasion, but despite his bravery, he too fell to the unrelenting Scourge. Resurrected into undeath, the Traitor King now serves as a towering weapon of destruction.
Anub'arak charges toward his enemies and impales them. He can harden his carapace to shield himself.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft universe.
The former king of Azjol-Nerub, Anub'arak was among the nerubians slaughtered in the War of the Spider. One of his most loyal commanders was Anub'Rekhan. Ner'zhul the Lich King raised the high lords of the Spider Kingdom, Anub'arak among them, as undead to do his bidding. As a malicious crypt lord, he was forced to use his powers to purge the snow-swept landscape of any remaining resistance to the reign of the Lich King.
Anub'arak was sent south to meet Arthas Menethil when he arrived in Northrend. Anub'arak saved the death knight from an attack by blood elves before he introduced himself and told Arthas of Ner'zhul's plans. Anub'arak helped Arthas establish a base, then masterminded the attack on the blue dragon Sapphiron. Anub'arak told Arthas that it would take far too long to fight their way through the forces led by Kael'thas and Vashj. He formulated a plan to go through the underground ruins of Azjol-Nerub to reach Icecrown, but warned that it would be a perilous journey.
Anub'arak led Arthas into the ruined kingdom, negating many perilous traps along the way. All the while he fought against his former subjects, the living nerubians, who called him the "traitor king". They encountered survivors of Muradin's expedition, led by Baelgun, who reported that an ancient evil had been released beneath the kingdom. Anub'arak and Arthas defeated the dwarves and broke into the Inner Kingdom. Soon, they came upon the evil the dwarves had spoken of - the Faceless Ones, strange creatures who had been imprisoned beneath the earth long ago. They even fought against a mighty Forgotten One. Upon entering the Upper Kingdom, an earthquake separated Anub'arak from Arthas. After digging through the rubble and finding the death knight unharmed, Anub'arak realized why Ner'zhul had chosen Arthas as his champion.
Anub'arak ushered Arthas out of Azjol-Nerub and to the surface, where they engaged with Illidan Stormrage and his servants in a battle for the Frozen Throne. Anub'arak defended Arthas as he magically activated the four obelisks surrounding Icecrown's pinnacle, then stood by as Arthas climbed the stairs to his destiny.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Talents[edit | edit source]
❢ Reward: After gathering 30 Regeneration Globes, you also gain 500 Health.
Activate to gain 60 Spell Armor for 5 seconds.
Activate to reset the cooldowns of your Basic Abilities.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Traitor King
- Backstory: The Defense mecha Cyb'arak designed by Frozen Throne technologies has proven instrumental in the defense of the African continent against the Kaijo monsters.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Altered voice-over, themed abilities. The skin has robotic beetles and a drill-based Impale animation.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of Kaijo world skins.
- Love Bug
- Backstory: Once you're bitten, you're smitten.
- Price: $9.99 / 8.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. The skin has ladybug-like beetles and an Impale animation based on the appearance of the skin's arms.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of holiday skins.
Mounts[edit | edit source]
Anub'arak's default mount is "Crypt Lord Wings", a state where he uses his wings to fly. He is otherwise limited to mounts he can stand on (such as Blackheart's Doubloon, Champion's Nexagon, Championship Banner, Hearthstone Card, Magic Carpet, Star Chariot, and Void Speeder).
- Backstory: In the years following the Third War, Azerothian scholars hypothesized that the wings of spiderlords were vestigal, incapable of flight. They were very wrong.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Anub'arak first appeared in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne (2003).
- In Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, Anub'arak was voiced by Steve Blum. In World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, he was voiced by Frank Welker. In Heroes of the Storm, he is voiced by Darin De Paul.
- Anub'arak was one of the three heroes revealed at Gamescom 2014.
- The first tint of Anub'arak's default skin reflects his appearance in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne. The second and third tints are respectively based on his appearances in the Azjol-Nerub dungeon and the Trial of the Crusader raid from World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
- One of Anub'arak's gag quotes references the guild Paragon, who scored the world first Anub'arak kill in the Trial of the Grand Crusader raid.
- Anub'arak's "in the kingdom of the spider" quote is a play on the "in the land of the blind" quote attributed to Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus.
- Anub'arak's "RAIDS?!" quote is a reference to the Raid insecticide commercials.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-07, Blizzard MOBA Heroes of the Storm First Artwork Released. IGN, accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2014-03-18, Hero Interaction Strings - Introduction Questions, accessed on 2014-03-18
- 2014-08-13, New Heroes Revealed at Gamescom 2014, accessed on 2014-08-13
- MMO-Champion: Heroic Anub'arak World First Kill by Paragon
[edit | edit source]
- Developer Insights: Burrowing Deep with Anub'arak
- Anub'arak Hero Week
- Anub'arak - Heroes of the Storm
- Anub'arak - Wowpedia
- Anub'arak Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Anub'arak Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Anub'arak Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm