|Release Date||March 13, 2014|
|Stats per level|
Abathur, the Evolution Master, is a melee specialist hero from the StarCraft universe. Abathur, the Evolution Master of Kerrigan's Swarm, works ceaselessly to improve the zerg from the genetic level up.
Abathur does not directly engage in combat, but rather can act through his allied Heroes and Minions and place Toxic Nests to defend important locations.
Background[edit | edit source]This section concerns content exclusive to the StarCraft universe.
From their conception, the zerg have been driven to pursue the perfection of their race through merciless, predatory evolution. If the Overmind has been the force behind this directive, the being known as Abathur was born as the instrument of its will.
Abathur is an old organism, long serving as an “evolution master” – a guiding hand spinning the strands of zerg DNA into mutations of existing zerg and entirely new strains. Left to its own devices, Abathur’s approach to evolving the Swarm is unorthodox: consuming living tissue, and dissolving it into genetic components able to be quickly reassembled (often painfully).
Abathur’s methods are far from the only means of evolving the Swarm, but the creature has refined them over years of wanderlust following the death of the original zerg Overmind. During its time on Char, the detached, meticulous Abathur modified any zerg it stumbled across, and grew fixated on diversifying the Swarm.
As much as a hive creature can, Abathur sees itself as personally responsible for the continuation of the zerg. It undertakes each experiment as though the survival of the species depended on it alone, and tolerates no evolutionary backstep. Abathur will push the swarm forward... and change it utterly in the attempt.
Abilities[edit | edit source]
Z) Deep Tunnel Cooldown: 30 seconds Quickly tunnel to the target visible location.
Talents[edit | edit source]
Activate to calldown a Mule that repairs Structures, one at a time, near target point for 40 seconds, healing for 100 Health every 1 second. Grants 1 ammo every 3 seconds.
Activate to spawn 3 Locusts at a nearby location.
Activate to create a nest that periodically spawns Locusts. Only one Locust Nest can be active at a time.
Skins[edit | edit source]
- Evolution Master
- Backstory: Upon occasion reality appears unsuitable. Desire for absence occurs. Inhibit ocular reception. Internally visualize. Possible for current location to alter. Make dreams come true.
- Price: $14.99 / 14.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. Pajamathur's Locusts wear toy trains on their backs. His Symbiote wears the head of a stuffed bunny like a mask.
- Note: This skin theme is part of a shared theme of pajama skins.
- Backstory: Exoendoskeleton... logical next advancement. Secondary benefit, elicits fear in adolescent terrans. Useful.
- Price: $9.99 / 9.99€
- Skin Features: Themed abilities. Skelethur's Locusts have bone plates and exposed brains on their backs. His Symbiote is a skull with tendrils and an exposed brain.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Abathur first appeared in StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm (2013).
- Abathur is voiced by Steve Blum.
- Abathur was one of the 18 heroes revealed at BlizzCon 2013.
- Abathur is a new type of hero that won't be found in the thick of a fight himself. Instead, he’s behind the scenes, manipulating the battlefield a little bit at a time in many places. In doing so, he can help his team secure big advantages and shape the flow of battle.
- Heart of the Swarm implied that Abathur was a huge worm-like creature players only ever saw the top of, which wasn't really viable in Heroes. The art team shortened him down so he could scoot around the battlefield.
- Players end up not actually looking at Abathur much while playing him (and the enemy sees him even less), so Blizzard made sure his skins modified his symbiotes and locusts as well as his model.
- One of Abathur's gag quotes references the song Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger by Daft Punk, a punk rock, eloctronic music duo that originated in northern France in 1993.
- The original inspiration behind Abathur was the Overmind with global powers and immobility. The kit evolved to be more mobile to add a dimension both to his strategic location and to give him more personality (he is rarely present on the map instead of never there), and Blizzard mapped/adjusted powers to Abathur instead.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Concept art for Abathur and Pajamathur.
Videos[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- 2013-11-09, BlizzCon 2013 – Heroes of the Storm – Concept Art and Screenshots. Blizzplanet, accessed on 2013-11-13
- 2013-11-11, Heroes of the Storm: Sixen Interviews Dustin Browder. YouTube, accessed on 2013-12-01
- 2015-06-12, IGN: How Blizzard's Heroes Went From Concepts to Icons
- Mr. Jack on DeviantArt: Evolution of Abathur
- 2014-05-04, Hero Suggestion Overmind. Blizzard Entertainment
[edit | edit source]
- Abathur - Heroes of the Storm
- Abathur - StarCraft II
- April Fools - Pajamathur
- Abathur - StarCraft Wiki
- Abathur Build Guide on Icy Veins
- Abathur Balance Changelog - Heroes Patch Notes
- Abathur Sound Files - Sounds of the Storm